Jason Bay has a strained rib cage, could start the season on the DL

Mar 29, 2011, 12:00 PM EST

Bay_Jason

One day I’m going to have news about the Mets that is unequivocally good. Young prospect impresses. Guy who was hurt turned out to not be as bad as everyone thought and is good-to-go.  I guess Carlos Beltran doing OK over the weekend was good news — and this is certainly fun! —  but there isn’t a heck of a lot of that sort of thing flying around Mets camp these days.

The latest: Jason Bay has a strained intercostal muscle — which is basically your rib cage — and is likely going to start the year on the DL.

I have a hunch that Bay is going to have a big bounce back year. We don’t know enough about his injury yet to know if that hunch remains operative. But man, this stinks.

1. BC - Mar 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I bleeping give up. Guess I’ll be a Tony Stewart fan for the next 7 months or so. Hello, 70-92, Mets!

• Jonny 5 - Mar 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM

BC, don’t worry. The Phillies Rotation just showed up on the cover of S.I. The jinx is on!!

• Utley's Hair - Mar 29, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Oh, crap.

• BC - Mar 29, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I’m telling ya. Phils are going 130-32.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I thought you bumped that up to 140-22 when Lidge went down.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Braves will win the division. Phils will probably get the wild card, just because the NL is pretty weak, but I think the Braves have some nice pitching of their own, and a much better offense than Philly.

• BC - Mar 29, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I took it down to 130 when Utley was ruled out.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 29, 2011 at 6:02 PM

You are so fickle.

2. Jonny 5 - Mar 29, 2011 at 12:24 PM

This guy is why Minaya is still around. If he fails to produce this season I’m afraid old man Wilpon may shoot Minaya himself. “Mr. Wilpon would like to see you now” “Ok, what’s with all the plastic on the floor Fred, remodeling? “In a way, yes”..

3. caine115 - Mar 29, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Minyana is not still around. Sandy Alderson is the GM. And he already cut Castillo and Perez . Something Minyana wouldn’t do since he signed them. he would have just had them take up roster spots so the Mets only had 25 man roster this year

• Jonny 5 - Mar 29, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Minaya IS still around. And yes Alderson is the GM now.

• caine115 - Mar 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

He is not the GM anymore though. He is sitting through a contract in the office. But Alderson made moves already Minyana wouldn’t. Its a start

4. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Mar 29, 2011 at 1:34 PM

When the Mets get healthy they are going to have a heck of … okay, I give up, the Mets are never going to get healthy.

5. BC - Mar 29, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Mets <—— EPIC FAIL
    I’m used to it now. It’s all good. Where’s that darned Ketel One? And my Nardil….

6. aronmantoo - Mar 29, 2011 at 6:02 PM

This is the kind of injury (rib cage) that can linger. The new 7 game dl might be a great idea

• birdman6824 - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I think that (7-day) is only for concussions

7. isles808 - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Another key Mets player on the DL?! What were the odds??

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester