Mar 29, 2011, 8:20 PM EST
Here’s a fun one.
The Yankees issued a press release just a short while ago detailing pre-game ceremonies for Opening Day against the Tigers on Thursday. On hand for the festivities will be Mike Mussina, who is scheduled to throw out the ceremonial first pitch. He’ll be the 10th former Yankee player to have the honor.
Mussina went 123-72 with a 3.88 ERA over eight seasons with the club. He retired following the 2008 season, when he went 20-9 with a 3.36 ERA and finished sixth in the balloting for the American League Cy Young Award.
You think the Yankees invited Mussina to throw out the first pitch so that they can see if he still has something left? Just saying. I mean, honestly, he’d probably be a better alternative for the rotation than Kevin Millwood, even at the age of 42.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)