Mar 29, 2011, 8:20 PM EDT
Here’s a fun one.
The Yankees issued a press release just a short while ago detailing pre-game ceremonies for Opening Day against the Tigers on Thursday. On hand for the festivities will be Mike Mussina, who is scheduled to throw out the ceremonial first pitch. He’ll be the 10th former Yankee player to have the honor.
Mussina went 123-72 with a 3.88 ERA over eight seasons with the club. He retired following the 2008 season, when he went 20-9 with a 3.36 ERA and finished sixth in the balloting for the American League Cy Young Award.
You think the Yankees invited Mussina to throw out the first pitch so that they can see if he still has something left? Just saying. I mean, honestly, he’d probably be a better alternative for the rotation than Kevin Millwood, even at the age of 42.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)