Mar 29, 2011, 6:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is done. And as expected, he’ll receive three years and an option for 2015.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Billingsley will be guaranteed at least $35 million from 2012-2014. If the Dodgers exercise the option for 2015, he could make as much as $46 million.
Billingsley will earn $9 million in 2012, $11 million in 2013, $12 million in 2014 and either a $14 million club option for 2015 or a $3 million buyout.
Monday, 8:00 PM: According to Jim Peltz of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers and Chad Billingsley have reached a tentative agreement on a three-year contract extension valued at more than $30 million.
Details aren’t yet available, but multiple sources tell Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles that the deal will cover 2012-2014 with a possible option for 2015. If true, the contract would buy out his final year of arbitration and his first two years of free agency. Billingsley and the Dodgers avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $6.275 million contract in January.
Billingsley, 26, is 59-41 with a 3.55 ERA over his first five major league seasons, averaging 8.2 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9. The former 2003 first-round pick went 12-11 with a 3.57 ERA over 31 starts last season.
UPDATE: Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that the contract is worth $35-36 million, including the buyout of the option year. He adds that the salary for the option year is still being negotiated.
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 11
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 35
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 41
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 185
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (185)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)