Mar 29, 2011, 6:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is done. And as expected, he’ll receive three years and an option for 2015.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Billingsley will be guaranteed at least $35 million from 2012-2014. If the Dodgers exercise the option for 2015, he could make as much as $46 million.
Billingsley will earn $9 million in 2012, $11 million in 2013, $12 million in 2014 and either a $14 million club option for 2015 or a $3 million buyout.
Monday, 8:00 PM: According to Jim Peltz of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers and Chad Billingsley have reached a tentative agreement on a three-year contract extension valued at more than $30 million.
Details aren’t yet available, but multiple sources tell Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles that the deal will cover 2012-2014 with a possible option for 2015. If true, the contract would buy out his final year of arbitration and his first two years of free agency. Billingsley and the Dodgers avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $6.275 million contract in January.
Billingsley, 26, is 59-41 with a 3.55 ERA over his first five major league seasons, averaging 8.2 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9. The former 2003 first-round pick went 12-11 with a 3.57 ERA over 31 starts last season.
UPDATE: Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that the contract is worth $35-36 million, including the buyout of the option year. He adds that the salary for the option year is still being negotiated.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (155)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)