The Yankees technology-unfriendly policies remain in place for 2011

Mar 29, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT

iPad

I get why the Yankees want to charge so much to park at a game — encouraging the use of mass transit is a good thing — but I don’t get why they don’t wish to encourage mass communications as well. Specifically, why they have continued their policy of not allowing iPads, e-readers and the like into the ballpark.  Jason at IIATMS has a detailed explanation and takedown of the policy here, noting the utter incoherence of the Yankees position on such devices.

I don’t know that such appeals will help because the Yankees tend to be more resistant to the complaints of cranky fans than other trams.  But I do wonder if commerce may change their tune. As in, Major League Baseball continuing its expansion into technology and social media, finding business partners in and creating business opportunities with the purveyors of handheld devices.  At some point — if we aren’t there already — the easiest way for fans to vote for All-Stars, buy concessions, enter contests and do all manner of other things in the ballpark will be to do so via handhelds, and absent a change, that will leave Yankees fans out in the cold.

Maybe phones will always be the number one choice for that sort of thing — and Yankee Stadium’s policies do not ban smart phones even though they would seem to present the same “risks” the Yankees think iPads do — but handheld use will only increase and, as it does, the Yankees’ policy will be increasingly annoying and out of touch.

1. poorwalt - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I don’t mind the policy simply because I don’t see the need to bring an ipad or an e-reader to the ballpark. A cell phone is one thing, but if you’re bringing one of the other two, you’re missing the point of a night out at the stadium.

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:46 AM

It’s not always “a night out at the stadium” It’s often “catching a game after work” when you have your stuff with you.

• cktai - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:51 AM

There are people who score games using an app.

• Alex K - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:57 AM

And if you take the train, you can’t just leave it in the car. And the Yankees are very strict about cheking bags.

Do they still not allow backpacks?

• poorwalt - Mar 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Well, considering I often go to Nats Park (don’t hear too many people saying that) straight from work, my comment was a bit shortsighted. Just because you might have those items on you doesn’t mean you’ll necessarily be using them.

2. BC - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Who cares. If you want to pay $80 for a ticket and then blow off watching the game and just sit there surfing the web or whatever, what’s the big deal. You’re wasting your own money. In fact, a cell phone is more distracting, where you have a drunk guy calling his buddies and yukking it up or whatever. This is just plain stooooooooooopid.
    First they denied me my cigars. Now they deny me my iPad. (Well, I don’t own an iPad, but you get the drift).

• thinman61 - Mar 29, 2011 at 10:06 AM

But it isn’t surfing the web, or using a cellphone to yuk it up with your buddies. It’s using an app to score the game, instead of pencil and paper. It’s being able to watch video of that great play you missed while waiting in line for the restroom. It’s having Gameday up for easy access to stats like pitch counts that aren’t always listed on the stadium scoreboard. Especially in places like NuYankee, where they do all that stupid stuff to let the fans know when they’re supposed to cheer.

• BC - Mar 29, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I guess my point was, people should be able to bring an iPad in, and if they want to stare at the iPad and chart pitches, or look at WAR, WHIP, VORP, BURP, BURP-2 (aka, enhanced BURP), then fine. It’s their money. And they’re not bothering anyone. The drunk guy laughing it up on his cellphone, or the guy puffing on a cigar, yeah, I get the bothersome factor (much as I enjoy a good cigar). To me, it’s just silly to bring an iPad to a game, unless you just got off the commuter train from work. You can chart the heck out of whatever while watching the game on TV or streaming video. If you’re not watching what’s in front of you, why pay the $80 to go to the game. But hey, it’s their money, go for it. Me? I’m watching the game. I’ll tally up VORP and BURP-2 when I get home.

• tomemos - Mar 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

BC, you are such a superior ass.

• BC - Mar 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM

That’s what your girlfirend told me too…. Hmm, coincidence?

• tomemos - Mar 29, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Okay, gotta tip my hat to that one.

3. yankeesfanlen - Mar 29, 2011 at 10:04 AM

New Yorkers are a resourceful bunch, there’s a cottage industry of backpack-luggage storage around the stadium. However I would never leave a solitary iPad in that surrounding.A backpack or attache case might be alright.
    Making nicey-nice with a patrolmans K-9 sometimes works too.
    Remember, most of this kind of stuff came from 9/11 that has fed on itself for yearsYou don’t go bounding around NYC like Austin Powers and not dfraw notice anymore.
    Supplemental viewing: “The FBI Story” (1959) James Stewart, Vera Miles.

4. PierzynskiAteMyKitten - Mar 29, 2011 at 10:55 AM

“the Yankees tend to be more resistant to the complaints of cranky fans than other trams.”

Hey now, there’s only one Tram, and thank God, he never had anything to do with the Yankees.

5. florida727 - Mar 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM

The Yankees. The Augusta National of baseball. Arrogant. Controlling. Dictatorial. Too bad the “fans” aren’t smart enough to say, “hey, screw you, I’m paying you, I’ll do what I want, and if that’s not good enough for you, find someone else’s money”.

My daughter was barely able to walk when I took her and my wife to Augusta National. No strollers. How moronic. It’s not like I was going to walk down the middle of the fairway and leave tire marks. Sometimes these people get just a little too full of themselves for their own good.

Yuck the Fankees. I’ll spend my money somewhere where it’s actually appreciated.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic