Mar 29, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
I get why the Yankees want to charge so much to park at a game — encouraging the use of mass transit is a good thing — but I don’t get why they don’t wish to encourage mass communications as well. Specifically, why they have continued their policy of not allowing iPads, e-readers and the like into the ballpark. Jason at IIATMS has a detailed explanation and takedown of the policy here, noting the utter incoherence of the Yankees position on such devices.
I don’t know that such appeals will help because the Yankees tend to be more resistant to the complaints of cranky fans than other trams. But I do wonder if commerce may change their tune. As in, Major League Baseball continuing its expansion into technology and social media, finding business partners in and creating business opportunities with the purveyors of handheld devices. At some point — if we aren’t there already — the easiest way for fans to vote for All-Stars, buy concessions, enter contests and do all manner of other things in the ballpark will be to do so via handhelds, and absent a change, that will leave Yankees fans out in the cold.
Maybe phones will always be the number one choice for that sort of thing — and Yankee Stadium’s policies do not ban smart phones even though they would seem to present the same “risks” the Yankees think iPads do — but handheld use will only increase and, as it does, the Yankees’ policy will be increasingly annoying and out of touch.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)