Yankee Stadium parking prices hiked more than 50%

Mar 29, 2011, 8:44 AM EDT

Image (1) yankee%20stadium.jpg for post 4012

Mark Feinsand of the Daily News tweeted yesterday that the price to park at Yankee Stadium was just raised from $23 to $35.  I have two reactions to this, with the second reaction more or less trumping the first one:

1. Wow, that’s a big hike. It’s hard to justify that kind of an increase as anything other than a cash grab; and

2. What on God’s green Earth are you doing driving to Yankee Stadium? I mean, really. There is no ballpark in the game that is more mass transit-accessible. Driving to the Bronx for a baseball game and parking at the damn ballpark is Gilded-age decadent, so I really don’t have a lot of sympathy if this price hike gouges you. If you’re so loaded that you can stomach paying that price on a regular basis yet to pampered that you can’t be bothered to take a subway or a cab or something, you probably have a driver anyway.

You may now continue the class warfare in the comments section.  I’ll be busy smugly humming “Working Class Hero” from my comfortable suburban home.

1. unsatisfiedmind - Mar 29, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Yes, driving is an insane option, and the price is definitely designed to encourage folks to use mass transit.

Yet, I must ask, have you tried to take the subway after a Yankee game? The sea of humanity crushing the gates of the B/D & 4 lines after a game is enough to give anyone an unhealthy paranoia about being trampled.

With the new Stadium they thankfully added a separate commuter rail station for folks living in NYC’s northern suburbs that definitely helps alleviate the subway stress, but it’s no picnic.

I’ve been to nearly 30 MLB stadiums and haven’t ever experienced anything else like trying to get into the subway after a Yankee game…

• Ari Collins - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM

The Green Line in Boston can be pretty bad, too.

• Ari Collins - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Oh man, I sound like I’m branching off the BOS/NYY rivalry to subway complaining. I’ve never taken the train to Yankee Stadium, but I’m sure it’s worse, just because there are just more people.

• thinman61 - Mar 29, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I’ve done both. The Green Line and the 4 train, after a game, are roughly equivalent experiences.

• phukyouk - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:16 AM

That not withstanding its still a crap load better taking the train. they have a train literally every 5 minutes after the game and since the new stadium opened they have crowd control so that they dont overpack the cars anymore.

2. sdelmonte - Mar 29, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Part of the fun of going to a game in NYC is being on the train with the other fans. A sea of white and navy, or blue and orange, or blue and red, with one common interest before and one shared smile or frown after. It’s kinda cool.

And it’s also fun to see if you can guess what the score was from the demeanor of the fans if are getting on the train a few stops later. (I do that sometimes on workdays when there is a Yanks day game and I get on the train at 86th but didn’t see the score yet.)

3. donniebb23 - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:18 AM

As a season ticket holder and NJ native, let me just say that driving is the easiest option in a lot of cases. Yes there is a lot of mass transit, but you’re talking about an hour (and $25 roundtrip) train ride into penn station, then a subway ride up. So best case scenario you’re talking $30 and 3 hours of travel. What’s crazy is that’s still cheaper than driving and parking, even before this insane rate hike, but at least when you drive you can be home in 30-45 min after the game rather than an hour and a half.

And let me assure you I am neither pampered nor have a driver… I’m just a fan trying to go to my 15-20 games a year in the best way possible.

• Alex K - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:24 AM

When I lived on Long Island it would have been much faster for me to drive. It took the better part of 2 hours to get to and from the Bronx by public transportation. And it was like $20 to make the trip via train.

• 18thstreet - Mar 29, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Best argument I’ve read for increasing the price of parking. It was too cheap before.

• mattraw - Mar 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I take the train now that I’m in the city proper, but having grown up in North Jersey, I’d agree with this. Haven’t driven to the Stadium in at least 7-8 years, but at the time you could usually find some free street parking a couple blocks away no problem.

4. mrznyc - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:18 AM

It’s not class warfare – However they get there, no poor people are buying tickets to Yankee Stadium. It’s a question of how long you can continue to breathe without your car.

5. Matt - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Most mass-transit accessible? Did you forget about Wrigley and US Cellular in Chicago? The L drops you off at the doorstep of each stadium.

• minnesconsin - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I think accessibility is more complicated than proximity of a rail stop to the stadium gate. I’ve taken the L to Wrigley and all around Chicago, and it’s pretty slick — but for overall accessibility, the NYC rail system is unmatched. It’s just available to a wider number of riders in a greater geographic area, I think.

The light rail system in Minneapolis literally has stations named “Metrodome Station” and “Target Field Station,” that drop you off right into the ticketing areas. But overall, I wouldn’t call either highly accessible because the entire metropolitan area has a total of TWO rail lines.

• trevorb06 - Mar 29, 2011 at 10:54 AM

There is a little hidden secret I know of blocks from Target Field where you get valet parking in a basement garage for less than $10 on a weekend game.

• Alex K - Mar 29, 2011 at 9:53 AM

But it’s only one line. In NYC there are multiple lines that stop at Yankee Stadium/Citi Field. Only the Red Line stops at Wrigley or U.S. Cellular. And those trains are some kind of full.

6. BC - Mar 29, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Yankee Stadium is a disaster trying to drive to (OK, lousy grammar, but you get the drift). The train drops you right there. Hop the train in New Haven, and whammo, I’m there. Citi Field (at least for Connecticut-ers, or whatever we’re called) is a much easier drive, though the traffic patterns getting out of there are bad. Always end up getting on the Van Wyck south and hooking an on-and-off uuey to get onto the Whitestone. Haven’t figured it out yet.

7. Lukehart80 - Mar 29, 2011 at 10:58 AM

This really has nothing to do with the prices to park at Yankee Stadium or the debate between driving vs. mass transit, but three years ago my brother and I were on a six stadiums in six days tour that involved Shea Stadium. After the game, we were going to be getting on the road to head to Cleveland and we weren’t totally sure of the best way to get to the highway we were looking for. An NYPD officer directing traffic gave us directions, we thanked him, and were on our way. The directions he gave us involved turning onto some industrial side street near the stadium. it was probably only a quarter mile, but there were no lights, no other vehicles, and it was the craggiest, most pot-holed stretch of road I’ve ever been on. We could only drive about 5 MPH for fear of blowing a tire out. It felt like what I’d imagine driving on the moon would be like. It took about five minutes to cover that short stretch of road, but incidentally, it DID lead to the highway.

8. homelanddefense - Mar 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM

35$ is a steal compared to parking near Fenway

• 18thstreet - Mar 29, 2011 at 11:17 AM

All hail the intersection of supply and demand! Adam Smith was right!

• thinman61 - Mar 29, 2011 at 12:59 PM

So don’t park near Fenway. Take the Red Line to the Green Line, like the rest of us.

9. parkwhiz - Mar 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM

While I totally agree with Craig’s comments on taking public transportation, just wanted to point out there are more economical parking options if you MUST drive.

Check it out at http://www.parkwhiz.com/yankee-stadium-parking/

Full disclosure: I am the operations manager at ParkWhiz.com, but GUARANTEE you will not only pay less than the $35 parking garage rates, but save anywhere from $3-5 on the drive-up rates at the Gateway Shopping Center by reserving ahead of time with ParkWhiz.com.

10. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Hudson line on metronorth from Hastings to 161st Street: 17 minutes and about $6. I will never drive there again…

… Because living on lawn gisland is worse

• Alex K - Mar 29, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Yes, yes it was. I’m happy every day I don’t live on Lwon Gisland.

11. Professor Longnose - Mar 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Haven’t you been following this story, Craig? It’s not a cash grab–it’s a desperate attempt to stave off defaulting on the bonds that were used to build the garages. It’s a pathetic story of incredibly short-sighted development that doesn’t actually develop anything.

As pointed out, there are other parking options. Which shows the mentality–when you get cheap competition, raise your price.

Also, the Yankees have a decent-sized fan base north of the Stadium, where there is very little mass transit.

12. aronmantoo - Mar 29, 2011 at 6:28 PM

No one needs to Drive to the Stadium

13. simononsports - Apr 4, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Taking the train from Southern CT is 20+ dollars a round trip per person and takes more time than driving, especially coming home. Not all of us live 20 minutes away from the Bronx.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (1931)