And now, the HardballTalk staff predictions

Mar 30, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT

Oracle of Delphi

Our Springtime Storyline previews are the Official Previews of HardballTalk. But despite our little paragraphs entitled “So, how are they going to do?” their real value is in talking about the issues facing each team, not in providing predictions.

And, it should be noted, they are a collective product. For example, Aaron wrote up the AL Central and he and I may differ on the order in which the teams will finish. I wrote up the NL West and D.J. and Drew may think I’m full of beans.  Such is the nature of collaboration. And as such, I thought it would fun for each of us to provide a quick and dirty rundown of how we think things will end up come October.

For what it’s worth, there is nothing terribly radical here. My pick of the Cubs is unique. Drew’s prediction of the Yankees missing the playoffs is somewhat unconventional. D.J. feels more optimistic about the Athletics’ chances than any of us.

Anyway, as Casey Stengel said: “Never make predictions. Especially about the future.” So, you know, take this all with a grain of salt.

CRAIG CALCATERRA

AL Central: White Sox, Twins, Tigers, Indians, Royals
AL West: Rangers, Angels, Athletics, Mariners
NL East: Phillies, Braves, Marlins, Mets, Nationals
NL Central: Brewers, Reds, Cubs, Cardinals, Astros, Pirates
NL West: Rockies, Giants (WC), Dodgers, Padres, Diamondbacks

1. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 30, 2011 at 9:02 AM

All five of you picked the Phillies to win the NL Least. Congratulations on not letting your Philly hate get in the way of good old common sense.

• trevorb06 - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:55 AM

nozzle

• Ari Collins - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I don’t think “The Phillies will probably win the division, but it’s not a sure thing, and they’re not that likely to win 100 games” counts as hate.

2. thevandalen - Mar 30, 2011 at 9:22 AM

DJ, you really think the A’s are going to take the division from the Rangers?

• D.J. Short - Mar 30, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I think it could happen, yes. But whatever, these predictions will probably be meaningless in a month.

• Drew Silva - Mar 30, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I was tempted to pick the A’s in the West as well. Their pitching staff (rotation through bullpen) is probably the best in the American League and they made a couple of smart pickups offensively in David DeJesus and Josh Willingham.

• APBA Guy - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM

It’s an injury shootout between the two clubs. Whoever has the least Dl days among the principal starters will win, and if both have excessive DL days to key players, LA could sneak in with a very mediocre record.

Think about the injury histories of the key players for the Rangers and A’s: Hamilton, Cruz, Kinsler, Bret Anderson, DeJesus, Willingham, Matsui. Hunter’s already down for the Rangers. It’s a battle of team physicians this year, and LA has the best.

3. largebill - Mar 30, 2011 at 9:25 AM

What’s the over/under on comments accusing you all of hating or disrespecting the commenter’s team?

As an Indians fan I am NOT making that accusation. You all saw them finishing 4th (which is pretty much the general opinion everywhere) not out of irrational hatred, but rather because they did not assemble a very talented team. A couple injuries/ bad luck they could lose 95-100 games and finish behind an improving Royals team. Improved pitching and defense coupled with timely hitting they could sneak into 3rd place with a .500 record.

• BC - Mar 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I’m a Mets fan. Far be it for me to cast stones at this point.

• umrguy42 - Mar 30, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Alas, pessimism leads me to cynically agree with the average 3rd place finish for my Cardinals this year after the loss of Wainwright…

• sfbookreviews - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:14 PM

You’re lucky, as a life-long Pirate fan I was simply thrilled 1 person didn’t pick them last in the division. It’s been a hard couple decades here.

4. Jonny 5 - Mar 30, 2011 at 9:38 AM

AL East: Red Sox, Yankees, Rays, Orioles, Blue Jays
    AL Central: Twins, White Sox(WC), Tigers, Indians, Royals
    AL West: Rangers, Angels, Athletics, Mariners
    NL East: Phillies, Braves (WC), Marlins, Mets, Nationals
    NL Central: Reds, Brewers, Cardinals, Cubs, Astros, Pirates
    NL West: Giants, Rockies, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Padres

Yes, I’m calling for an upset for the AL WC. Shoot me. I just don’t see the Yankees keeping their record in the 90’s this season, and I expect the WSox or Twins (which are really a crap shoot for 1st imo) to be just above. Let the games begin!!

5. BC - Mar 30, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Ah, what the heck, I’ll throw mine out there too.

AL EAST:
    Red Sox/Yankees <—– one wins division, the other the WC, flip a coin
    Tampa
    Baltimore
    Toronto <—- will be terrible, like Cleveland terrible. Just watch.

AL CENTRAL:
    White Sox
    Tigers
    Twins
    Royals
    Indians <—- worst team in AL

AL WEST:
    Texas
    Anaheim
    Oakland <—– I'm just not sold at all on them, they have less of a chance of scoring than I do
    I won't even list Seattle here because they'll be so bad they should be demoted to AAA

NL EAST:
    Phillies <—– 130 wins (OK, the joke's getting old, I get it)
    Marlins <—- not done to rankle Craig
    Braves
    Washington and my Mets will both stink on ice, flip a coin

NL CENTRAL
    Reds
    Cardinals (WC)
    Brewers
    Cubs
    Does Houston still have a team?
    Ditto Pittsburgh

NL WEST:
    Giants
    Rockies <—- WC contender if they get enough pitching
    Padres
    Dodgers <—- my candidate for epic-crater-of-the-year
    Diamondbacks

• Mark - Mar 30, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Really? The Jays will be “Cleveland terrible”? Even though they’ve got one of the better rotations in the AL, an above average bullpen, and a league average offense? That’s gonna be pretty tough for them to be as bad as Cleveland with all those good players!

I’d be amazed if Baltimore is even 500, let alone better better than the Jays.

• BC - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I’m figuring Boston and New York both win about 95-97, Tampa wins about 85. Then Baltimore at 78 to 80. Then Toronto at about 73. Maybe.
        My thinking is, Toronto scored 5 billion runs last year, Bautista hit 54 home runs, and the team won 85 games. I can see their offense taking a big nosedive, and with questionable pitching… they could drop 10 or 12 games in the standings easy.

• Mark - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I’m trying to figure out what part of the pitching is questionable. Believe it or not, the Jays team FIP last year was third in the AL. So it’s pretty clear their rotation and bullpen is above average.

The bullpen lost Gregg and Downs, but added Dotel and Fransisco. Fransisco makes up for Downs, and while Dotel is no stud, neither is Gregg. So there’s no dropoff there. As for the rotation, losing Marcum hurts, but there was no way he was getting through another healthy season (as the Brewer’s are finding out). Drabek’s a promising arm, and while he may not make up for Marcum, his peripherals in the majors were outstanding (6.35 K/9, 2.65 BB/9, 62% GB). The GB rate might be closer to 50%, but with Romero/Morrow (10K/9 and 3 BB/9 since he changed his arm angle on May 31), Cecil & Drabek the Jays have the makings of an above average rotation. Arguably second best in the division.

If everything works out well for Baltimore they’ll improve by 10-12 games. That’s a best case scenario when you figure how much Lee/Reynolds/Hardy and their other FA signings improve them over the past. Their pitching staff isn’t even close to being as good as the Jays. Bautista isn’t going to hit 50 HRs again, but he’s clearly a better player. Don’t give me the Brady Anderson crap either, because Anderson posted an 832 OPS after his 50 HR season, compared to a 742 OPS before the 50 HR season.

I just don’t see how the Orioles are better in any aspect of the game. Outside of Wieters and Luke Scott, the Jays are better at every spot in the lineup and in the rotation.

• BC - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I just think Drabek is way too green to count on for much. Give him another year or two. I think Fransisco is hurt, no? And I just am not a Dotel fan. I just see their offense cratering this year, and honestly I think a lot of stuff just broke right for them last year, including their starting pitching. They won’t be Pittsburgh bad or Cleveland bad, but I could see a 10-game dropoff.

• BC - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM

And yes, I just contradicted myself. For the record, Cleveland will be worse than Toronto…. say… by 5 games or so (68 vs 73 or something like that). Both will stink however.

• Mark - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Drabek’s the fourth starter it’s not like they’re asking him to lead the rotation. 180 innings with a 4.25 ERA sounds pretty reasonable, and he’s got the upside to do better then that. He’s only starting game 2 because they’re abusing the D/L rules and giving Morrow a couple extra days to rest. Realistically it’ll be Romero/Morrow/Cecil doing the heavy lifting.

Fransisco’s hurt, but the Jays have more arms then they know what to do with right now. Not the end of the world if he misses a week or two, which is what it sounds like.

The funny thing about the Jays is they scored 50 runs more in 09 than they did in 2010. All those HR’s came at the expense of their OBP. I don’t know how much of a drop off I’d expect in their lineup. Snider should get full time play and he could end up being their best hitter. Hill and Lind should improve a bit over last year – maybe not to the 09 levels, but somewhere between 09-10. Neither of them are that bad. Escobar stands to improve.

There’s going to be regression from Bautista, a drop from Wells—> Davis, and from Buck–>Arencibia. But I think they’ll score around 750, which is what they did last year. Probably end up trading some slugging for OBP and it’ll even out in the end.

• thinman61 - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:57 AM

The Jays offense last year was very OBP-lite, SLG-heavy. That looks to continue this year, only with a lot of that SLG eitehr off the roster, or due to regress. Baltimore has a good but young pitching staff who will probably need another year or two to get it together. Toronto has a better pitching staff, but Baltimore (finally) has a solid hitter in every slot in their lineup. Toronto cannot say the same.

Baltimore should be good for 80 to 82 wins this year. Toronto, somewhere around 75.

• BC - Mar 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Man, they only scored 750 last year? I’d have figured they were in the high 800’s. Lot of solo HRs I guess.

• JBerardi - Mar 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM

“Man, they only scored 750 last year? I’d have figured they were in the high 800′s. Lot of solo HRs I guess.”

Apparently their hitting coach last year really pushed an aggressive hitting philosophy. Swing for the fences, don’t worry about working the count. So you end up with a team that hits for a ton of power but has OBP issues and, like you say, hits a lot of solo shots.

• derpdederpdederp - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:48 PM

“I’m trying to figure out what part of the pitching is questionable.”

how about everything that comes after romero? dont get me wrong, im a jays fan. the fact is losing marcum is gonna hurt and the 4 starters after romero obviously have a lot to prove. morrow is already on the DL, not the best sign of things to come. cecil is inconsistent and often times shaky. well just have to see about drabeck, but this is a tough division to break into the big leagues as a pitcher. whoever ends up holding on to the 5th spot is not even worth discussing

the jays will be decent but there will be a dropoff in there offensive numbers. bautista will have another good year, but nothing near 54 HRs. buck is gone, replaced by 2 guys that combined will hit less HRs than he did last year. wells is gone, replaced by a speed and average guy. the key is going to be how hill and lind bounce back

• thinman61 - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Agree completely with Johnny5 and BC on the AL East standings, and I’m shocked that the staff unanimously picked the BJ’s to finish higher than the O’s. Baltimore will finish at around .500 this season, and that will still be better than where Toronto winds up. “Indians terrible” is about right.

I do think both the O’s and BJ’s are going to be better, possibly even much better, a year or two down the road. Anthopoulos pulled a real rabbit out of his hat in managing to get out from under the Wells contract. Just not in 2011.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I too flipped a coin on the Nats and Mets battling to stay out of last place.

• BC - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I took the coin and used it to buy some Mentos. Does it matter if the Mets win 72 or 77 games?
        Thank God for NASCAR.

• umrguy42 - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:00 PM

BC, my “realistic” best case right now is probably your NL Central picks being right :p

6. hermitfool - Mar 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Surprisingly little respect for the lowly Pads, whose run differential topped the division last year.

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 30, 2011 at 9:50 AM

They lost their best player and their ace pitcher is starting the season on the DL. What, exactly, were you expecting?

• BC - Mar 30, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Agree with you. If the Dodgers don’t crater as badly as I think they will (call it a hunch), the Padres could well finish 4th and be battling to stay ahead of Arizona.

• JBerardi - Mar 30, 2011 at 5:14 PM

“They lost their best player”

Yeah, it’s gonna be tough without Eckstein…

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Padres caught lightening in a bottle last year, but J-Roll took their hearts on August 27th in the 12th inning when he made the slide of the year. That win propelled the Phillies to a 26-8 finish and an easy division title, while the loss for the Padres began their 10 game slide and they went 14-21 the rest of the season. Not enough was made of that turning point in the season for both teams…except by me.

7. minnesconsin - Mar 30, 2011 at 9:55 AM

whole lotta love for the white sox around these parts today, makes me feel all ishy.

They’ll hold a 2-game lead going into September, and the meltdown will ceremoniously begin with the Sept 5-7 series at Target Field. It all starts unraveling when Jesse Crain enters the game to a massive chorus of CRAAAAAIIIN-WRECK, CRAAAAIIIN-WRECK and morneau and delmon hit back-to-back dingers off the ex-Twin.

Voila, Twins get their mojo going, sweep their way into first, and the White Sox embark on a precipitous slide to third place.

Is it Friday yet?

• spudchukar - Mar 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Frank is coming back?

8. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Here’s the question of the day for the Phillies haters out there…when you pick the Braves to win the NL Least, and you say “The Phllies starters, while very good, are all on the wrong side of 30″ do you even take a slight gander at the age of the Braves starting staff? Hudson…36 in July…Derek Lowe…38 on June 1st…Jurrgens hurt all the time. And you say the Phillies staff is old and injury-prone?

Give me a freaking break. The Phillies have 3 studs who will be 34, 33, and 32, plus a 27 year old, while the Braves have just one solid, healthy stud under 30…Hanson. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. You can’t throw “Doc is on the wrong side of 30″ out there without talking about how the Braves #3 starter is 38.

Stop with the Braves already…or at least find a different angle than “The Phillies pitchers are all old”

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Who are you talking to? Who picked the Braves over the Phils on here? Those voices in your head are coming back like the tide…just in time for opening day. Let the venomous spats begin, my frenemy.

• vader000 - Mar 30, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I believe he’s referring to the Buster Olneys and Jon Heymans out there who want to pick the Braves hoping it will work out so they can point it out to everyone and look like the smartest guy in the room. And when it doesn’t happen you won’t hear a word about their preseason picks. That said I fully expect it to be a race for most of the year and both teams to make the playoffs.

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Listen Cerrano, just because your guy can’t stay on the field for more than a week without stubbing his toe don’t take it out on me. I am talking to all the morons on this board who keep running the line that the Phillies pitching staff is old. Really? Then the Braves pitching staff must be freaking ancient. I mean, considering the average age of the Phillies top 4 pitchers is 31 1/2 while the average age of the Braves top 3 pitchers is 32 1/2, what are we actually talking about here? Yet, everywhere I look…”The Braves are going to be a problem…don’t discount them, especially with the Phillies 4 Aces on the wrong side of 30.” Ummm, really? How about Tim “TJS” Hudson? Or Derek 88 MPH at BEST Fastball Lowe. These dudes will be applying for their AARP cards sometime in the next few years, yet all you hear about is the age of the Phillies staff. I haven’t read one place somebody bring up the age of Hudson/Lowe. Yet, we all know that Oswalt and Doc will turn 34, Lee will turn 33.

I can’t wait for the season to begin so, come May 1st when the Phillies are 5 games in first place while the Braves and the rest of the NL Least are struggling to stay at .500, all you people who give me thumbs-down will know one very important thing…

I was right…and you were wrong. Dummies.

• JBerardi - Mar 30, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I don’t doubt that the Phillies have a better starting rotation than the Braves. I do, however, doubt that they have a better outfield, infield, catcher, or bullpen than the Braves. Based on that I think the NL east is pretty much a coin flip at this point.

9. karaterobot - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM

You guys have to be high to pick the White Sox over the Twins this year. Why? Because Matt Guerrier, Jesse Trainwreck Crain and glass bones JJ Hardy are gone? We have the same excellent starting lineup, Slowey in pen with Nathan and Capps, power back in Morneau, speed in Nishioka. Chicago’s moves haven’t been that great, and Ozzie will find a way for his boys to choke hard again this year. Thornton to close is cute, too; I’ll enjoy Thome’s homers off of him again this year.

Seriously, pass me what you are smoking.

10. tomemos - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Drew, you see the Dodgers finishing ahead of the Giants this year? The Dodgers finished 12 games behind the Giants in 2010. Where do you see the Dodgers gaining and the Giants losing some combination that adds up to 12 games?

• jasonburg - Mar 30, 2011 at 5:50 PM

That’s the one that made me laugh, too. The Dodgers overtaking the World Champs this year? That’s a joke.

11. beantownsports247 - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Red Sox – Yankees ALCS going 7 games

Phils-Giants – NLCS going 6 games

Anyone can win on any given night in baseball, projections mean nothing , towards the end of the summer is when you know what your team is made of and if they can live up to expectations given to them . As a Red Sox fan i realize the potential our team has but also know that one big injury , one bad season from a pitcher , one huge injury , can tank a teams season in a heartbeat . Play Ball.

12. Old Gator - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM

BC, the Feesh finishing ahead of the Bravos? Just wondering what you were either (a) thinking, (b) drinking or (c) banging your head against last night. Answers to any one of the above will suffice.

• tomemos - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Tyler Kepner of the NY Times made the same prediction, for what it’s worth. He also picked the Marlins to win the Wild Card. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/sports/baseball/27nl.html?_r=1&ref=baseball

• Jonny 5 - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Gator, you forgot option d) Smoking

• BC - Mar 31, 2011 at 9:49 AM

a) I never think. It complicates things.
      b) Ketel One, accept no substitutes.
      c) Sorry, I can’t publish her name on the web.
      d) Gave up cigars for Lent, so no smoking.
      Although also… e) I did watch “Speed” last night. Call it a guilty pleasure.

13. skipperxc - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Oh Craig, I wish I could quit you for picking my Brewers in fourth…but I can’t, I just can’t. That division is such a crapshoot.

14. itsabergthing - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I really think Pittsburgh is gonna sneak up on some people this year and be a surprise team. I can’t believe that most have them finishing behind Houston, I don’t see that, I can even see them moving into third or fourth in the Division. I think the Cubs and Cardinals are a bit overrated and it’s going to be a two way race in the Central between Milwaukee and Cincinnati. Believe me, I’m a homer and I’m not saying the Bucs are gonna win the division by any means, but I can see them making a run at .500 for the first time in a long time. The young talent at the top of the lineup is unmistakable and I think the mid-season call-ups will be anything but push overs. This team is better than what the experts and the rest of the league think, if they can play like they did at home last year and play somewhat respectable on the road, this season could be a sign of a bright, bright future in Pittsburgh. LET’S GO BUCS!!!

• spudchukar - Mar 30, 2011 at 3:58 PM

‘Tis the season for Blind Faith. Good on you Berg.

• itsabergthing - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Yes blind faith. What’s Spring Training if you can’t convince yourself every year that your team has some sort of chance to do something special… I’ve done it every year since as far back as I can remember.

• spudchukar - Mar 30, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Exactly, hope Springs eternal.

• BC - Mar 31, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Blind Faith was an awesome band. Clapton, Winwood, Ginger Baker…. good stuff.

• spudchukar - Mar 31, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Great Stuff, and I listen to it often.

15. stairwayto7 - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:03 PM

CRAIG CALCATERRA pickign the Cubs to win the central? What is he smoking! Cubs will finish 4th or 5th!

16. Gobias Industries - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:30 PM

So Harkins thinks the playoffs are going to be canceled again like in 1994? That’s a bold prediction.

17. chrisny3 - Mar 30, 2011 at 5:06 PM

AL East: Red Sox, Rays (WC), Yankees, Blue Jays, Orioles
    AL Central: Twinkies, White Sox, Tigers, Royals, Indians
    AL West: Rangers, Athletics, Angels, Mariners

NL East: Braves, Mets, Phillies, Marlins, Nationals
    NL Central: Brewers, Reds, Cubs, Astros, Pirates
    NL West: Giants, Rockies (WC), Padres, Dodgers, Diamondbacks

ALDS: Twinkies over Rays, Red Sox over Rangers
    NLDS: Rockies over Braves, Giants over Brewers
    ALCS: Red Sox over Twinkies
    NLCS: Giants over Rockies
    WS: Giants over Red Sox

Giants will be the first repeat champion since 2000. The AL East will be surprisingly competitive, with all 5 teams in the mix through at least the All-Star break. As stated previously, on paper, the Phillies are the class of the NL East, but injuries and decline due to age will have them struggling and keep them out of the postseason.

• chrisny3 - Mar 30, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Ooops …

NL Central: Brewers, Reds, Cards, Cubs, Astros, Pirates

• Utley's Hair - Mar 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM

So chrisny3 is actually Vaccaro trolling other blogs. Or he’s as deluded as Vaccaro.

• chrisny3 - Mar 30, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Why would you think I am Vacarro? He doesn’t dislike the Phillies as far as I know.

18. kolfax - Mar 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I’ll take a narrower, bottom up view. From the worst teams in baseball. The Mariners will continue to be a feeder team to the rest of the majors, trading their best talent for a promise of a better team in the future. The Wimpy syndrome.

That aside, the Mariners will be better than the Pirates, Mets and Houston and might be able to beat any AAA team on any given Sunday. Yes, I am an interested Mariners observer, but won’t be wearing the hat.

Guess what I’m saying is that if your a Mariners player there is hope that you’ll play on a championship team someday, it just won’t be for the Mariners.

Just had to get the Mariners in the conversation. AAAAhhhh!!!

19. macjacmccoy - Mar 30, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Brewers are NL Wild Card just watch. Braves 2nd WC but lose out bc of Cox withdraw.

20. spudchukar - Mar 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM

After channeling Edward Cayce, Madame Blavatsky, and Nostradamus I have arrived at the unmistakable conclusion that the 2011 final standings and subsequent playoffs will read thusly:

NL East AL East
    Florida 90-72 Tampa Bay 89-73
    Atlanta 89-73 New York 88-74
    Philadelphia 88-74 Toronto 87-75
    Washington 75-87 Boston 85-77
    New York 70-92 Baltimore 76-86

NL Central AL Central
    St. Louis 95-67 Chicago 92-70
    Milwaukee 90-72 (WC) Minnesota 90-72 (WC)
    Cincinnati 86-76 Detroit 86-76
    Chicago 81-81 Kansas City 69-93
    Houston 76-86 Cleveland 65-97
    Pittsburgh 67-95

NL West AL West
    Colorado 92-70 Texas 92-70
    San Fran 87-75 Oakland 76-86
    L.A. 75-87 Anaheim/L.A. 74-88
    Arizona 70-92 Seattle 65-97
    San Diego 65-97

Playoffs: Stl over Fla (3-1) Tampa Bay over Chicago (3-0)
    Col over Mil (3-1) Texas over Minnesota (3-2)

Stl over Col (4-2) Texas over Tampa Bay (4-3)

St. Louis over Texas (4-2)

• Ari Collins - Mar 31, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Careful… a couple of those predictions look sane.

• BC - Mar 31, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I think there definitely is potential for the AL West to stink on ice other than Texas. I do think you overrated Toronto (pitching worries) and Tampa (will they score enough runs). I cannot for the life of me see the Brewers winning 90 games. Other than that, not bad. I like the White Sox chances as well.

• spudchukar - Mar 31, 2011 at 11:27 AM

If I would make one change, it probably would be the Brewers, what with their newly acquired starters already on the shelf, but I stand by the Rays and Jays.

• umrguy42 - Mar 31, 2011 at 1:27 PM

spud, have I ever mentioned I like your thinking? :)

Go Cards!

All the trade deadline news to know