Mar 30, 2011, 9:03 PM EDT
He was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday evening, according to the A’s official Twitter feed, and is likely to miss the first couple weeks of the regular season. Veteran reliever Brian Fuentes is expected to draw save opportunities for the Athletics while he’s sidelined.
Bailey, 26, boasts a stellar 1.70 ERA, 0.91 WHIP and 133/37 K/BB ratio over his first two major league seasons. He missed a month-long chunk of 2010 due to a strained intercostal muscle, though, and this will represent his second career trip to the disabled list.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 33
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)