Mar 30, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
I gotta be honest: if John Malone, the CEO of Liberty Media — owner of my Atlanta Braves — invited me to have lunch with him, I’d probably balk too. I mean, really, what would we have to talk about? Our vast land holdings? Our fights with the FCC? The awkwardness of the fact that, in all likelihood, I know far more about the Atlanta Braves than he does? I mean, sure, if I could take him to Ted’s Montana Grill and talk about its namesake like he was my ex-girlfriend, pining for the days when he ran my team it would be fun. But really, I’d probably give it a pass.
But do you do the same thing if you’re a Dodgers fan? This guy did, according to Bill Plaschke of the L.A. Times:*
After all these years, Brian Gadinsky was invited to lunch with the owner of the Dodgers. And he turned it down. He turned it down for the same reason he had earlier trashed his season-ticket renewal notice, which led to the invitation in the first place. He turned it down because it would mean breaking bread with Frank McCourt, and he is done with Frank McCourt.
“My friends all asked me if I was crazy,” Gadinsky said. “I told them, no, I am just tired. … I am tired of being loyal to a man who has not returned that loyalty.”
I guess I can see that. Of course, given that this is likely the only shot Gadinsky will ever have to slip McCourt a mickey, he probably should reconsider.
*Note: Plaschke continues to be the world’s worst abuser of the one-sentence paragraph writing style. Which is almost a awful as certain diseases, so when I block quote him I compress the paragraphs for readability. Bill: don’t do this anymore. It does not add gravitas to your prose. It makes things harder to read. It tips us all off to the fact that you are tasked with filling column inches and not telling interesting stories. Which is a shame when, as you often do, you have an interesting story. Cut it out, OK?
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)