Dodgers fan balks at the chance to have lunch with Frank McCourt

Mar 30, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT

Frank McCourt

I gotta be honest: if John Malone, the CEO of Liberty Media — owner of my Atlanta Braves — invited me to have lunch with him, I’d probably balk too.  I mean, really, what would we have to talk about?  Our vast land holdings? Our fights with the FCC?  The awkwardness of the fact that, in all likelihood, I know far more about the Atlanta Braves than he does?  I mean, sure, if I could take him to Ted’s Montana Grill and talk about its namesake like he was my ex-girlfriend, pining for the days when he ran my team it would be fun. But really, I’d probably give it a pass.

But do you do the same thing if you’re a Dodgers fan? This guy did, according to Bill Plaschke of the L.A. Times:*

After all these years, Brian Gadinsky was invited to lunch with the owner of the Dodgers. And he turned it down. He turned it down for the same reason he had earlier trashed his season-ticket renewal notice, which led to the invitation in the first place. He turned it down because it would mean breaking bread with Frank McCourt, and he is done with Frank McCourt.

“My friends all asked me if I was crazy,” Gadinsky said. “I told them, no, I am just tired. … I am tired of being loyal to a man who has not returned that loyalty.”

I guess I can see that.  Of course, given that this is likely the only shot Gadinsky will ever have to slip McCourt a mickey, he probably should reconsider.

*Note: Plaschke continues to be the world’s worst abuser of the one-sentence paragraph writing style. Which is almost a awful as certain diseases, so when I block quote him I compress the paragraphs for readability. Bill: don’t do this anymore. It does not add gravitas to your prose. It makes things harder to read. It tips us all off to the fact that you are tasked with filling column inches and not telling interesting stories. Which is a shame when, as you often do, you have an interesting story. Cut it out, OK?

1. sdelmonte - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:18 AM

This begs the question of what owner fans would want to have lunch with. Nolan Ryan (and also MJ and Lemieux in their respective sports), but we wouldn’t want to meet him because of what he owns. Hank Steinbrenner, if only to see if he channels his dad after a few drinks.

Is there anyone in baseball even remotely like Mark Cuban? I don’t like him myself, but I bet he is never dull.

2. phukyouk - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM

thank you for that Note craig. I had not even noticed it until you pointed it out. I will forever see it now. its like when my friend pointed out that the FedEx logo has an arrow betwen the “E” and “X”.

• bcopus - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:09 PM

That exact same scenario happened to me a year ago, and I still wonder if it was a fluke accident and they went with it, or if they intentionally made an arrow…and why….

3. Matt - Mar 30, 2011 at 10:31 AM

You expect me to believe that a blogger would turn down a free lunch? Fat chance.

4. minnesconsin - Mar 30, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Can I also point out that the LAT’s practice of interspersing random semi-related headlines throughout plaschke’s “paragraphs” is perhaps the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen? You’re reading along, in fits and starts (because that’s how it reads, unfortunately), and then out of the blue you get ‘Andre Ethier isn’t sure of future with Dodgers ,’ or ‘Chad Billingsley reportedly signs three-year extension.’ the fact that i actually mistook those links for plaschke-penned “paragraphs” says something…

5. snowbirdgothic - Mar 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM

The poor guy was probably just afraid McCourt would stiff him with the check.

6. Bob Timmermann - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:25 PM

One of the rites of spring in L.A. since the O’Malleys sold the team is for Plaschke to find a “disgruntled” fan and write a story about how bad the owners are.

Every.

Freakin’

Year.

7. Charles Gates - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Insert obligatory joke about how Plaschke’s ‘column’ is coming up a few inches short here.

8. lanflfan - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:25 PM

As a Dodger fan, I wouldn’t have turned it down. I might have made it a short lunch though, presenting my side of the divorce drama. I don’t care what you or your gold-digger soon-to-be-ex do, your ONLY job is run this franchise right. Clearly, you have utterly and completely failed. Please sell now (BEFORE this year ends), to someone who wants to win and not use the team as their personal ATM. A few choice words more, and lunch probably would have been over. I might not have been full, but I sure would have been happy.

You don’t give up chances like that.

• larryhockett - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Agreed. You don’t have to like the guy to go to lunch with him. You cared enough about the team to get invited to the lunch but you don’t care enough to go and tell the owner what you think? I’m not naive enough to think that any of this would have any real effect but it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for a sports fan.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2505)