Mar 30, 2011, 10:31 AM EST
Sticking with the Los Angeles Times, there was a report there yesterday about FOX’s desire to use a new “Field Cam,” which would travel overhead the diamond, giving all of us at home new angles. Apparently they used it last night in the Dodgers-Angels exhibition game. There was something like this in the playoffs last fall, but that was limited in that the camera stayed in foul territory. This new thing would go over the actual field.
There are concerns voiced by players in the article about the camera being intrusive, even when it’s in foul territory. Fly balls go high, after all, so there’s always the potential for interference. Of course, given that baseball has no problem with an actual catwalk-laden stadium that routinely interferes with both fair and foul balls, I’m guessing this is something everyone could live with.
I liked those shots in the playoffs. I think it would be cool to have a camera track a runner going from first to third or catching a double play from a view directly overhead. I have faith that they could pull this off with minimal disruption.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 31
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 99
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (99)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)