Mar 30, 2011, 10:31 AM EST
Sticking with the Los Angeles Times, there was a report there yesterday about FOX’s desire to use a new “Field Cam,” which would travel overhead the diamond, giving all of us at home new angles. Apparently they used it last night in the Dodgers-Angels exhibition game. There was something like this in the playoffs last fall, but that was limited in that the camera stayed in foul territory. This new thing would go over the actual field.
There are concerns voiced by players in the article about the camera being intrusive, even when it’s in foul territory. Fly balls go high, after all, so there’s always the potential for interference. Of course, given that baseball has no problem with an actual catwalk-laden stadium that routinely interferes with both fair and foul balls, I’m guessing this is something everyone could live with.
I liked those shots in the playoffs. I think it would be cool to have a camera track a runner going from first to third or catching a double play from a view directly overhead. I have faith that they could pull this off with minimal disruption.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)