Mar 30, 2011, 10:31 AM EST
Sticking with the Los Angeles Times, there was a report there yesterday about FOX’s desire to use a new “Field Cam,” which would travel overhead the diamond, giving all of us at home new angles. Apparently they used it last night in the Dodgers-Angels exhibition game. There was something like this in the playoffs last fall, but that was limited in that the camera stayed in foul territory. This new thing would go over the actual field.
There are concerns voiced by players in the article about the camera being intrusive, even when it’s in foul territory. Fly balls go high, after all, so there’s always the potential for interference. Of course, given that baseball has no problem with an actual catwalk-laden stadium that routinely interferes with both fair and foul balls, I’m guessing this is something everyone could live with.
I liked those shots in the playoffs. I think it would be cool to have a camera track a runner going from first to third or catching a double play from a view directly overhead. I have faith that they could pull this off with minimal disruption.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)