Mar 30, 2011, 7:49 PM EDT
Here’s some big (but somewhat expected) news out of San Francisco…
According to Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants have informed top prospect Brandon Belt that he will open the year as the club’s starting first baseman. Aubrey Huff is going to move out to right field for the time being and the situation will be reevaluated once Cody Ross returns from his right calf strain.
Belt, 22, was rated baseball’s 22nd most promising prospect by Baseball America this winter after slugging 23 home runs and tallying 112 RBI across 136 minor league games last season.
He hit .282/.338/.479 with three home runs and five doubles in 71 at-bats this spring.
Giants skipper Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly, also of the Mercury News, that Belt teared up upon getting the good word and called it the “best day of my life, besides my wedding.”
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)