Jason Bay to begin season on disabled list with rib injury

Mar 30, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT

Jason Bay sliding

No official move has been made yet, but Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that Jason Bay “will almost certainly” begin the season on the disabled list with an intercostal strain in his left rib cage.

Bay flew back to New York to have the injury examined by doctors today and would be eligible to come off the disabled list as soon as April 9 thanks to the stint being backdated.

In the meantime Lucas Duda is expected to replace Bay on the roster and could split time with Scott Hairston in left field.

Duda entered last season as largely an unknown prospect, but the former seventh-round pick hit .304 with 23 homers, 40 doubles, and a .967 OPS in 115 games between Double-A and Triple-A before making his big-league debut in September. He bats left-handed while Hairston swings right-handed, so they could form a natural platoon.

1. aronmantoo - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Here we go again

2. chrisny3 - Mar 30, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Not a big deal. It will heal. As long as they avoid the multiple simultaneous injuries to key position players that plagued the team the last two years, they should be OK.

• Reflex - Mar 31, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Its going to be a real source of amusement to read your replies as the Mets situation continues to deteriorate, both on and off the field this season.

• chrisny3 - Mar 31, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Pray tell your specific definition of “deteriorating” as pertains to the Mets, on and off the field, so we all know if your opinion has any validity down the road. Give us something specific so we can later be amused at your empty musings when they end up to be busts.

I will always stand by my opinions, right or wrong, because I base them on what if believe are well informed and realistic scenarios at the time.

• Reflex - Mar 31, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Very simple: The Mets are a third or fourth place team at best, and a potential bottom dweller at worst. The Phils and Braves are *clearly* better, the Marlins are likely better, and I would not be suprised if the Nats perform better than expected. Best case scenario is third place. Worst case is last place. Whether by injuries or poor performances that is how the season will go.

Off the field: The case continues to look worse and worse against the Wilpons. Despite your spin, the case has only gotten stronger against them, and their ethics and intelligence are seriously in question. Furthermore, the fact that they have been hemmorhaging money lately and required a loan simply to meet their obligations last year(a $50 million one no less), speak to an at best scenario where they are minority owners by the time that drama is finished, and at worst are completely out of any ownership group(‘at worst’ being by your standards, for actual Mets fans, thats best case). Granted, being that this is all going to court, I allow that this portion could potentially take years to get resolved so we may or may not see this happen this season. But it will happen.

And yes, were I a betting man, I would put money on both of these things.

• chrisny3 - Apr 1, 2011 at 5:03 PM

LOL, let me get this straight … you’re putting money on the Mets being either a third, fourth or fifth place team? And that in perhaps “years” the Wilpons won’t own the team or will be minority owners? LMAO. Sorry but that’s the most laughable bet I ever heard. Way to hedge your bet — like by a mile!

I got two things to say to you:

1) As to the case having “only gotten stronger” against the Wilpons, that’s another laugher! Perhaps you missed the news about Peter Stamos, Picard’s supposed main witness, never having warned the Wilpons about Madoff in terms of “fraud” and actually telling the Wilpons on numerous occasions that Madoff was one of the “most honorable” men he has ever met? LOL. Picard has clearly been revealed to be a liar.

2) Here’s what I bet … the Mets either come in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd this season. Off the field, the Wilpons continue to be the controlling owners of the Mets throughout the next two years. See, two can play that game! But actually, this is consistent with what I’ve been saying about the Mets both ON and OFF the field on this website since I’ve been posting here.

3. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 30, 2011 at 6:27 PM

is there any way to blame this on Minaya, that would really make me feel good.

4. bradwins - Mar 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Maybe this isn’t the place for this, but the Mets are KILLING me by not putting guys on the DL yet. What the heck are they waiting for? When I decided I would stash Santana on my DL for a potential second-half run, I assumed I would have his roster spot available by now. I’m getting beat to the free agent pool by other teams in my league who have players that play for teams courteous enough to put their injured guys on the DL before the freaking season starts!

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate