Mar 30, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
I think I may have been one of the only people on the planet who liked the fact that Ken Rosenthal wore bow ties while on camera for the FOX playoff broadcasts last fall. I thought it was dapper and rather charming. I’ve met Ken in person a couple of times and he totally fits the mold of a bow tie wearer. Nice guy. Fastidious. Dare I say it? Kind of cute.
So you can imagine my joy when I read this morning that, not only is Rosenthal going to keep wearing the bow ties on camera, but that he’s doing it for a good cause. Many good causes, actually, as each Rosenthal bow tie will be to raise consciousness of various charities, ranging from Livestrong to the Ronald McDonald House to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation to Stand Up to Cancer:
Each Friday on FOXSports.com, we will display the bow tie I will wear on that week’s broadcast, along with a description of the charity and how to get involved. For the postseason, we plan to conduct polls on which bow tie I should wear for each game.
Funny how it all comes around. I didn’t want to wear a bow tie because I thought it would distract from my work. Jones’ mission, though, aligns perfectly with how I perceive my job.
I’m a blogger, so ties don’t happen here very often. Maybe I should do what Rosenthal is doing, however, and start wearing an article of clothing I never would otherwise wear in an effort to raise consciousness. You know, like pants or something.
Seriously, though: cool move Rosenthal. And I’d say that even if I didn’t think the ties looked good on their own terms.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 11
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 49
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)