Ken Rosenthal will be wearing bow ties all year. And this is a very good thing.

Mar 30, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT

Rosenthal bow tie

I think I may have been one of the only people on the planet who liked the fact that Ken Rosenthal wore bow ties while on camera for the FOX playoff broadcasts last fall. I thought it was dapper and rather charming. I’ve met Ken in person a couple of times and he totally fits the mold of a bow tie wearer. Nice guy. Fastidious. Dare I say it? Kind of cute.

So you can imagine my joy when I read this morning that, not only is Rosenthal going to keep wearing the bow ties on camera, but that he’s doing it for a good cause.  Many good causes, actually, as each Rosenthal bow tie will be to raise consciousness of various charities, ranging from Livestrong to the Ronald McDonald House to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation to Stand Up to Cancer:

Each Friday on FOXSports.com, we will display the bow tie I will wear on that week’s broadcast, along with a description of the charity and how to get involved. For the postseason, we plan to conduct polls on which bow tie I should wear for each game.

Funny how it all comes around. I didn’t want to wear a bow tie because I thought it would distract from my work. Jones’ mission, though, aligns perfectly with how I perceive my job.

I’m a blogger, so ties don’t happen here very often. Maybe I should do what Rosenthal is doing, however, and start wearing an article of clothing I never would otherwise wear in an effort to raise consciousness. You know, like pants or something.

Seriously, though: cool move Rosenthal. And I’d say that even if I didn’t think the ties looked good on their own terms.

1. BC - Mar 30, 2011 at 11:49 AM

A tribute to Bud Collins perhaps?
    (Haven’t seen Collins in the public eye lately. Anyone know if he’s sick or God forbid dead?)

2. Jonny 5 - Mar 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I never “got” the bow tie. I understand a neck tie, it kinda serves a purpose by covering your shirt buttons, distracting from the sight of your gut ,and serving as a bib of sorts while eating or drinking. But a bow tie? It does none of this. Although I must admit it does have it’s charm even though it is completely useless. I’m a big fan of Ken, even though I don’t think he’s as dreamy or cute as Craig alludes to.

3. Charles Gates - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM

On one side of the tie fashion spectrum, you have Ken Rosenthal. On the far other, you have Chris Berman.

4. sdelmonte - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Bow ties are cool.

• hossenfefer - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Dr Who FTW

• acuraf12 - Mar 30, 2011 at 3:44 PM

He should add a fez too!

5. woodenulykteneau - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Can you say sanctimonious, boys and girls?

• xmatt0926x - Mar 30, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Maybe a little but if it helps a cause in some way, who cares? Do you think a major company that sponsors some kind of good cause is doing it because the board of directors really cares about that cause? They don’t and it’s just good publicity for them but in the end if that cause gets a few million bucks it’s all good for all involved.

• woodenulykteneau - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Makes sense if you can’t be bothered with such things like ethics or nuance.

6. chrisdtx - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Brother Mouzonenthal?

• Alex K - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I wish I could thumbs up this 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 times. Well played!

7. schmedley69 - Mar 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM

He looks like a young Les Nesman.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4104)