Mar 30, 2011, 12:36 PM EDT
We run our own predictions because, well, they’re fun to do. And since they’re almost always wrong anyway I don’t suppose there is any reason for anyone to get too worked up by them. But sometimes you see one that does sort of strain credulity a bit. Like Mike Vaccaro’s in the New York Post.
His narrative take on the state of the Yankees and Mets is fine as it is, with him noting that the Yankees have high expectations and the Mets are, at least from a fan moarale perspective, totally in the dumps. But then I clicked over to the Post’s staff picks and Vaccaro has the Mets finishing in second place in the NL East. Ahead of the Phillies, who he has in third place.
My hope — and even my suspicion, because Vaccaro is a pretty bright guy — is that he’s either taking the picks themselves for the somewhat silly exercise they are and/or trolling for some reactions. Which, I’m hearing from people in Philly, he’s already getting. I find this to be great fun and I actually considered doing this myself but decided against it just because I didn’t feel like getting 100 angry emails before 10AM.
C’mon, Mike. You’re joking. Aren’t you?
UPDATE: Well, could be worse. Sam Page of Amazin’ Avenue has the Phillies in fourth.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 10
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)