Mar 30, 2011, 12:36 PM EST
We run our own predictions because, well, they’re fun to do. And since they’re almost always wrong anyway I don’t suppose there is any reason for anyone to get too worked up by them. But sometimes you see one that does sort of strain credulity a bit. Like Mike Vaccaro’s in the New York Post.
His narrative take on the state of the Yankees and Mets is fine as it is, with him noting that the Yankees have high expectations and the Mets are, at least from a fan moarale perspective, totally in the dumps. But then I clicked over to the Post’s staff picks and Vaccaro has the Mets finishing in second place in the NL East. Ahead of the Phillies, who he has in third place.
My hope — and even my suspicion, because Vaccaro is a pretty bright guy — is that he’s either taking the picks themselves for the somewhat silly exercise they are and/or trolling for some reactions. Which, I’m hearing from people in Philly, he’s already getting. I find this to be great fun and I actually considered doing this myself but decided against it just because I didn’t feel like getting 100 angry emails before 10AM.
C’mon, Mike. You’re joking. Aren’t you?
UPDATE: Well, could be worse. Sam Page of Amazin’ Avenue has the Phillies in fourth.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 85
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 33
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (85)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)