Mar 30, 2011, 12:36 PM EDT
We run our own predictions because, well, they’re fun to do. And since they’re almost always wrong anyway I don’t suppose there is any reason for anyone to get too worked up by them. But sometimes you see one that does sort of strain credulity a bit. Like Mike Vaccaro’s in the New York Post.
His narrative take on the state of the Yankees and Mets is fine as it is, with him noting that the Yankees have high expectations and the Mets are, at least from a fan moarale perspective, totally in the dumps. But then I clicked over to the Post’s staff picks and Vaccaro has the Mets finishing in second place in the NL East. Ahead of the Phillies, who he has in third place.
My hope — and even my suspicion, because Vaccaro is a pretty bright guy — is that he’s either taking the picks themselves for the somewhat silly exercise they are and/or trolling for some reactions. Which, I’m hearing from people in Philly, he’s already getting. I find this to be great fun and I actually considered doing this myself but decided against it just because I didn’t feel like getting 100 angry emails before 10AM.
C’mon, Mike. You’re joking. Aren’t you?
UPDATE: Well, could be worse. Sam Page of Amazin’ Avenue has the Phillies in fourth.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)