Mets over Phillies? Well … that’s an interesting prediction

Mar 30, 2011, 12:36 PM EDT

mets logo hat AP

We run our own predictions because, well, they’re fun to do.  And since they’re almost always wrong anyway I don’t suppose there is any reason for anyone to get too worked up by them. But sometimes you see one that does sort of strain credulity a bit.  Like Mike Vaccaro’s in the New York Post.

His narrative take on the state of the Yankees and Mets is fine as it is, with him noting that the Yankees have high expectations and the Mets are, at least from a fan moarale perspective, totally in the dumps. But then I clicked over to the Post’s staff picks and Vaccaro has the Mets finishing in second place in the NL East. Ahead of the Phillies, who he has in third place.

My hope — and even my suspicion, because Vaccaro is a pretty bright guy — is that he’s either taking the picks themselves for the somewhat silly exercise they are and/or trolling for some reactions.  Which, I’m hearing from people in Philly, he’s already getting.  I find this to be great fun and I actually considered doing this myself but decided against it just because I didn’t feel like getting 100 angry emails before 10AM.

C’mon, Mike. You’re joking.  Aren’t you?

UPDATE: Well, could be worse. Sam Page of Amazin’ Avenue has the Phillies in fourth.

1. angrycorgi - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Mets over Phillies????

It seems that somebody needs to be subjected to not-so-random drug-testing.

• phukyouk - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Sorry craig but I didnt get that far this morning. I read the part where he names A-Gon the AL MVP and that the Yanks will trade Bentances and Nunez for Jarred weaver and threw the paper out.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Throwing out the Post is a good maneuver. Not buying it and reading it even better.
        But, ARod will be MVP.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

• phukyouk - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:07 PM

@len – I love the post in regards to sports cause the news simply sucks. and Arod wont be MVP. I think Cano will have a better shot than Arod. Lester will probably be the Cy Young.

2. Matthew Flint - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Brian Costello has the same order, he is below Vaccaro. Good luck with those picks. I think the Mets finish 5th in the division. Talent wise I think the Marlins and Nats are better.

3. jasoncollette - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Someone has the Oriole as the wildcard winner…..

4. atworkident - Mar 30, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Citi Field is a large ballpark you don’t sell seats predicting a fifth place finish.

The Rays can’t even sell playoff tickets after the big media outlets have everyone convinced the Yankees and the Red Sox are the only teams in the division.

This is like the lotto to Mets fans… all they are asking is $100 and a dream for a seat.

• mercyflush - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:16 PM

yeah but why would a beat writer care if the Mets sell tickets?

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM

The Royals win the Series! The Royals win the Series! The Royals win the Series!

• umrguy42 - Mar 30, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Hey, why not, it HAS happened in my lifetime :p True story: I *don’t* remember the series itself, but the Cardinals took Amtrak back from KC at one point (maybe in the middle of the series?), and where we used to live in St. Louis, the tracks ran right by the end of our street, so a whole group from the neighborhood dressed up in red and went down to wave at the train as it went by, and it was a lot of fun for my 5-year-old self :)

6. heyblueyoustink - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Now, at the beginning of the season….every fan of any team is allowed to have pie in the sky hopefullness……..

It seems in this case, Mr. vaccaro needs to work on his “sobermetrics”

7. delawarephilliesfan - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:14 PM

The beauty of the internet is – that prediction will live. Forever. So don’t bother pinging Vaccaro now – as Craig pointed out, that was probably the whole point. Drop him line in Septmber. Then next April, and next September, and so on.

Bottom line is if you put that out there, you have to stand by it. So make him stand by it. Either it was a joke precition or a lousy prediction, either way, why take him serious in the future if that precition is a total crash?

Vaccaro, expect to an e-mail from me last week of September, just like your Post buddy Kevin Kiernan countinues to hear from me:

Posted: 5:00 AM, August 26, 2007

MEMO to Jimmy Rollins: The best team won.

Yes, it’s still the dog days of August and the Mets have to travel to beautiful Philadelphia tomorrow, but the NL East race is over. Though the Yankees are fighting for their playoff souls, the Mets are merrily on their way to another October.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:24 PM

WTF?!? A New York rag writer called Philly beautiful?

• xmatt0926x - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Delewarephilliesfan, I was thinking about that article right as I read your comment and was wondering if this guy was the one who wrote it back then. It sounds like this guy is chasing the white whale in hoping that the mets catch and pass the Phillies. he has nothing to lose. If the Mets suck as expected nobody remembers his prediction. If the Phils have a godawful year then he can gloat for years to come that he was the one guy who picked the Mets to finish ahead of the “all-time rotation” Phils. I am a life long phillies fan and I have no problem admitting that the offense isn’t great (has been overrated for 5 years) and that injuries seem to be piling up and that I can easily see the Braves winning this division, but the Mets?? NO WAY!! Dickey is a good story but lets see this 35 year old do it 2 years in a row. Pelfrey is a good pitcher but lets see him be the leader of that staff first and do it all year without fading. I like Wright and Reyes (the player, not the childish antic clown) but Beltran is just as fragile as any injured phillie. Sorry Mets fans. I’m not buying it and I don’t think the rest of the world is either.

• Gobias Industries - Mar 31, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I love it when people get all worked up and offended over meaningless pre-season predictions.

8. BC - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:22 PM

ROFLMAO!! Hahahahhahahahahahahaha……. Is it April 1st yet???!?! Ahahahahahaha…..
    Phillies will be 20 games better than the Mets (no, the Mets will not win 110 games and the Phillies 130, I’m thinking more 97 for Philly, 77 for the Mets).

9. Jonny 5 - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Craig, you really get angry e-mails when you mess with Phillies fans?

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Yep. More messages on Twitter than emails, but yeah, you guys are an extremely vocal bunch.

• phukyouk - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:40 PM

you guys? sounds kinda… controversial

• Jonny 5 - Mar 30, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Or maybe even… Stereotypical

Do you think Craig could be? Naaaaa.. They are a rare breed, but he could be a “Fanist” Please don’t get caught up in the terrible practice of “fanism” children. All Fans were created equally.
        Except Yankees fans, they’ll all burn in hell. Sorry Len, but it has been written, so it shall be. Don’t look at me, I didn’t write the rules.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:48 PM

There’s Jonny with his unwritten rules again….

10. mikewatty - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Mets blow

• Matthew Flint - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Thumbs up for Mike Watty!

• phukyouk - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:42 PM

may be the only way for them to make any money these days

11. sdelmonte - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:39 PM

As happy as I am that someone else is willing to dream big for the Mets (and that there is at least one Mets blogger that is positive about things), even I can’t seriously predict that my favorites will actually finish ahead of the Phils.

Do I have reason to hope? Yes, I think I do. Every fan has reason to hope today. It’s a fresh start. Same as every season. You never know where the next surprise pennant contender will be. And there is always the chance that the Phils really are overrated. But that’s a fan being a fan. I’m not paid to make predictions. Or to soberly analyze the state of the game. And my sober analysis as a mere fan tells me that even if the Mets shock the world and the Phils limp to the finish, Lee-Halladay-Oswalt-Hamels is better than Dickey-Pelfrey-Niese-Capuano.

Still, I will take a little optimism after weeks of doom and gloom from all comers.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Sober analysis is overrated. Drunken analysis is much more fun.

But the Phightins are all that—with the extra big bag of chips, pickles, cold ketchup and a Yuengling Lager.

• sdelmonte - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Alas, I don’t like ketchup.

We talking sour pickles and New York Deli chips?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Then use mustard with the dill pickles and pita chips. But the Lager is a must.

12. jamie54 - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Also heard Dino Costa spout something like this yesterday and trotted out how good their everyday lineup is! Puhhhhhhlease. Maybe they won’t tank it as badly as everyone thinks and maybe the Phillies won’t do as well either but to put them higher than third in this division is just plain idiotic! But, then again, VCU going to the Final Four, well………

13. thinman61 - Mar 30, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Hey, over at hardballtimes.com Mat Kovach has the Indians and the Royals finishing #1 and #2 in the AL Central, with the Indians ultimately winning the world series (against the Reds).

14. Utley's Hair - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Wow…Vaccaro and Page must really be looking for some sort of clicksapalooza today. I guess they have monthly quotas they need to meet? And the “best” way to get that is to do this?

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 30, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Look at the nonsense you write utley’s wart? you have no place to talk ever

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM

very in depth contribution, butt monkey

• Jonny 5 - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:15 PM

What is this Butt monkey you speak of?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I must wholeheartedly defer to the groundbreaking contributions that you have made to this blog, Clint Wannabe. I sincerely apologize for having subjected you to my “nonsense.” And your retort is SOOOOOO well written.

Dipsh!t.

15. tsi431 - Mar 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I don’t find it hard to believe that 3 pitchers in there soon to be mid 30’s can break down during any given year and regress. If so, 4th place would be giving them too much credit. At least 1 on the DL by all star break and 2 by years end would not be out of the question. I have a feeling they won’t be getting the run support they have had in previous years either.
    Soon to be age 34 Oswalt and Halladay
    Soon to be age 33 Lee

Mets had Santana look what happend to him at 32. Numbers are still great but injuries just mount up.

• xmatt0926x - Mar 30, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Of course injuries to many of the key players would lead to a bad finish for any team. I just don’t think you base a season’s prediction on that to “likely” happen. And what team has the most injury history lately? Is it the Phillies or the Mets? Beltran, Reyes, Santana, etc. So if you can make a prediction based on guys in their 30’s possibly breaking down all at once then why dont you take that into account when you are talking about your own team? Santana may be done for the year. Beltran is questionable at best. Again, based on recent history I might be more concerned about the Mets injuries right now. Don’t we constantly have to hear from the Mets fans about all the mets core would have done over the last couple years if not for the injuries??

• xmatt0926x - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Ohh and don’t forget Jason Bay’s rib cage too. Wow, those Mets are really banged up! Nice work Vacarro!!!

16. Jonny 5 - Mar 30, 2011 at 3:14 PM

That guy has like 20 insane people posting over there. Obviously insane people I mean. Wow.

17. cpape1 - Mar 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Mike Vaccaro, like most NY sportswriters, is a Mets fan. Not one NY Post writer picked the Yankees over the Red Sox. I mean, I know the Red Sox are good but even Peter Gammons thinks the Yankees will compete. Vaccaro was not the only Post writer who picked the Mets over the Phillies. They don’t even have a healthy Johan Santana – who is their ace pitcher, Bernie Madoff???????????????

And the Post is supposedly less pro-Mets than the Daily News.

This is why I buy USA Today – to get good, objective sportswriting without the hype about the idiot Mets.

18. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 31, 2011 at 11:02 PM

oh utley’s wart that was a great comeback, god your pathetic

• Utley's Hair - Apr 1, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Suck it, troll.

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM

another good comeback by utley’s snot, you gonna cry for us next? as i said, pathetic

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3540)