Mar 30, 2011, 4:05 PM EST

Today the Cleveland Indians were supposed to take on the Columbus Clippers in an exhibition game here in beautiful Columbus, Ohio.  I had toyed with the idea of calling to get a press pass but never got around to it.  I probably made the right decision given the weather here today.  As I look out the window of my fortified compound on the outskirts of town, I see sideways snow and rank misery.

Jordan Bastain of MLB.com was required to drive down here from Cleveland to take in the game. While, sure, the essential stop at Grandpa’s Cheese Barn makes the Cleveland-Columbus trip worthwhile, sadly, the game was cancelled after an inning or two due to the weather, thereby rendering Jordan’s trip a waste.  He did get a nice picture of Huntington Park, though:

And to think: the Indians open up at home on Friday, 130 miles north of here.  Right now the forecast calls for partly cloudy skies and 46 degrees. Which is downright tropical.

Viva baseball season!

1. Brian Murphy - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM

My friend texted me about an hour ago saying the Indians-Columbus Clippers game was a train wreck. I figured he meant blowout.
    Now I know.

2. garryfish - Mar 30, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

3. APBA Guy - Mar 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM

75 and sunny here in SF

4. madocyankfan - Mar 31, 2011 at 1:21 AM

I don’t understand why the north east teams don’t open on the west coast or in dome stadiums to avoid that type of weather.

5. skipperxc - Mar 31, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I like how many of the people who are going to complain about near-freezing temperatures in April are the same ones who will complain about near-freezing temperatures in November. I’d prefer the really crappy weather at the start of the season instead of the World Series, personally…

6. umrguy42 - Mar 31, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Around the Horn yesterday had a segment on a wedding on the field at Busch Stadium (something I would’ve loved to do for my upcoming one, but disregarded as 1. too expensive and 2. possibly conflicting with an actual ballgame, since it’s early July)… being done IN THE SNOW. I think that may be rougher than actually playing baseball in it… at least the game could be canceled ;)

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5094)