Mar 31, 2011, 8:40 PM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of San Jose Mercury News, Brian Wilson threw approximately 30 pitches in a five-minute bullpen session earlier today in Los Angeles.
Wilson, who was placed on the disabled list yesterday with a left oblique strain, was able to throw with “apparent maximum effort.”
How’s the oblique feeling, by the way?
“It’s attached. It’s well. It says hi.”
I can almost imagine Wilson talking to his oblique like Gene did with that can of vegetables in “Wet Hot American Summer.”
Anyway, the next step is for Wilson to appear in a simulated game or live batting practice situation. Giants manager Bruce Bochy said he’ll need to do that twice before being activated from the disabled list, which makes it unlikely that he’ll be back prior to the Giants’ home opener on April 8. Because Wilson’s DL-stint was backdated, he is eligible to return as soon as April 6.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)