Mar 31, 2011, 8:40 PM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of San Jose Mercury News, Brian Wilson threw approximately 30 pitches in a five-minute bullpen session earlier today in Los Angeles.
Wilson, who was placed on the disabled list yesterday with a left oblique strain, was able to throw with “apparent maximum effort.”
How’s the oblique feeling, by the way?
“It’s attached. It’s well. It says hi.”
I can almost imagine Wilson talking to his oblique like Gene did with that can of vegetables in “Wet Hot American Summer.”
Anyway, the next step is for Wilson to appear in a simulated game or live batting practice situation. Giants manager Bruce Bochy said he’ll need to do that twice before being activated from the disabled list, which makes it unlikely that he’ll be back prior to the Giants’ home opener on April 8. Because Wilson’s DL-stint was backdated, he is eligible to return as soon as April 6.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)