Mar 31, 2011, 8:40 PM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of San Jose Mercury News, Brian Wilson threw approximately 30 pitches in a five-minute bullpen session earlier today in Los Angeles.
Wilson, who was placed on the disabled list yesterday with a left oblique strain, was able to throw with “apparent maximum effort.”
How’s the oblique feeling, by the way?
“It’s attached. It’s well. It says hi.”
I can almost imagine Wilson talking to his oblique like Gene did with that can of vegetables in “Wet Hot American Summer.”
Anyway, the next step is for Wilson to appear in a simulated game or live batting practice situation. Giants manager Bruce Bochy said he’ll need to do that twice before being activated from the disabled list, which makes it unlikely that he’ll be back prior to the Giants’ home opener on April 8. Because Wilson’s DL-stint was backdated, he is eligible to return as soon as April 6.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)