Brooks Robinson “responding well” after emergency surgery

Mar 31, 2011, 5:33 PM EDT

brooks-robinson-orioles AP

Brooks Robinson was rushed to the hospital by ambulance last night and underwent emergency surgery this morning, but the 73-year-old Hall of Famer issued a statement this afternoon saying he’s doing well:

I was originally scheduled for a routine outpatient procedure at Greater Baltimore Medical Center on Thursday, March 31, 2011. The evening before surgery, I developed a fever and infection. My doctors chose to admit me to aggressively treat the infection and I am responding well to antibiotics.

Robinson, who was treated for prostate cancer in 2009, also said he remains “cancer free” and asked for “privacy.”

1. oldpaddy - Mar 31, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Geez, I always thought Brooks Robinson was black…

• jimbo1949 - Mar 31, 2011 at 7:35 PM

That would be Frank Robinson.

• bigdogpappad - Mar 31, 2011 at 7:53 PM

@oldpaddy – do us a favor, go back to the rock you crawled out from under and stay there!

2. Panda Claus - Mar 31, 2011 at 6:00 PM

One of my favorite players ever… Recover quickly Brooksy.

3. bigdogpappad - Mar 31, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Brooks is arguably the best defensive third baseman to ever play the game of baseball and he is a true gentleman and role model for all of us. Get well Mr. Hoover!

• wardhobby - Apr 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM

A great player who was one of my role models growing up!

4. oldpaddy - Mar 31, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I wasn’t thinking of Frank.
    Did I say something wrong?
    lol is being black a bad thing?
    He played before I was born and I’m not an O’s fan, so just by his name I thought he was black.

5. BC - Apr 1, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I saw maybe the last five or so years of Brooks’s career, and he was still a vacuum cleaner at that time. I remember Nettles making all those ridiculous plays in the playoffs, but doubt he even near Brooks’s level. Mike Schmidt was a heck of a fielder, as was Matt Williams and Scott Rolen when they were in their prime. Schmidt might be the only one close to Brooks that I can think of, post 1965.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2639)