Mar 31, 2011, 3:23 PM EDT
Trevor Crowe, who spent much of last year as the Indians’ center fielder, underwent shoulder surgery on Wednesday and is expected to miss at least four months.
The switch-hitting Crowe batted .251/.302/.333 with 20 steals in 442 at-bats for the Indians last season. He’s hit .246/.295/.333 with three homers and 53 RBI in 625 at-bats over the last two years.
Crowe entered spring training this year competing for a spot as a reserve and as a potential fill-in for Grady Sizemore. However, having fallen behind Michael Brantley on the depth chart, he wasn’t viewed as a big part of the Indians’ plans. The team is likely better off with Austin Kearns taking Sizemore’s place in the lineup and the stronger bats of Travis Buck and Shelley Duncan on the bench.
If he loses the entire 2010 season, Crowe figures to have a difficult time reestablishing himself going forward. Despite his lofty pedigree — he was selected 14th overall in the 2005 draft — he hasn’t displayed anything more than a fourth-outfielder’s skill set since reaching the high minors in 2007. The Indians may decide he’s not worth carrying on the 40-man roster next winter.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 0
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)