Mar 31, 2011, 3:23 PM EDT
Trevor Crowe, who spent much of last year as the Indians’ center fielder, underwent shoulder surgery on Wednesday and is expected to miss at least four months.
The switch-hitting Crowe batted .251/.302/.333 with 20 steals in 442 at-bats for the Indians last season. He’s hit .246/.295/.333 with three homers and 53 RBI in 625 at-bats over the last two years.
Crowe entered spring training this year competing for a spot as a reserve and as a potential fill-in for Grady Sizemore. However, having fallen behind Michael Brantley on the depth chart, he wasn’t viewed as a big part of the Indians’ plans. The team is likely better off with Austin Kearns taking Sizemore’s place in the lineup and the stronger bats of Travis Buck and Shelley Duncan on the bench.
If he loses the entire 2010 season, Crowe figures to have a difficult time reestablishing himself going forward. Despite his lofty pedigree — he was selected 14th overall in the 2005 draft — he hasn’t displayed anything more than a fourth-outfielder’s skill set since reaching the high minors in 2007. The Indians may decide he’s not worth carrying on the 40-man roster next winter.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 9
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 87
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 63
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (89)