Mar 31, 2011, 3:23 PM EDT
Trevor Crowe, who spent much of last year as the Indians’ center fielder, underwent shoulder surgery on Wednesday and is expected to miss at least four months.
The switch-hitting Crowe batted .251/.302/.333 with 20 steals in 442 at-bats for the Indians last season. He’s hit .246/.295/.333 with three homers and 53 RBI in 625 at-bats over the last two years.
Crowe entered spring training this year competing for a spot as a reserve and as a potential fill-in for Grady Sizemore. However, having fallen behind Michael Brantley on the depth chart, he wasn’t viewed as a big part of the Indians’ plans. The team is likely better off with Austin Kearns taking Sizemore’s place in the lineup and the stronger bats of Travis Buck and Shelley Duncan on the bench.
If he loses the entire 2010 season, Crowe figures to have a difficult time reestablishing himself going forward. Despite his lofty pedigree — he was selected 14th overall in the 2005 draft — he hasn’t displayed anything more than a fourth-outfielder’s skill set since reaching the high minors in 2007. The Indians may decide he’s not worth carrying on the 40-man roster next winter.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 7
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)