Mar 31, 2011, 7:10 PM EST
Latos said he felt fine during the throwing session, which took place prior to today’s game against the Cardinals at Busch Stadium, while Padres manager Bud Black said “he looked fine and he looked healthy.”
Black said that the ace right-hander has a light side session scheduled for Saturday and if all goes well, he’ll pitch in a minor league game Monday in Arizona. They’ll see how he does Monday before deciding on the next step, but Black has previously said that Latos will need a minor league rehab assignment before returning from the disabled list.
Latos, 23, went 14-10 with a 2.92 ERA and 1.08 WHIP over 31 starts last season. He struck out 189 batters over 184 2/3 innings.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 18
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 27
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 29
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)