Mar 31, 2011, 7:10 PM EDT
Latos said he felt fine during the throwing session, which took place prior to today’s game against the Cardinals at Busch Stadium, while Padres manager Bud Black said “he looked fine and he looked healthy.”
Black said that the ace right-hander has a light side session scheduled for Saturday and if all goes well, he’ll pitch in a minor league game Monday in Arizona. They’ll see how he does Monday before deciding on the next step, but Black has previously said that Latos will need a minor league rehab assignment before returning from the disabled list.
Latos, 23, went 14-10 with a 2.92 ERA and 1.08 WHIP over 31 starts last season. He struck out 189 batters over 184 2/3 innings.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 41
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)