Apr 1, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for Bloomquist to cast his spell on Arizona manager Kirk Gibson, who has inexplicably written him into the lineup as the Diamondbacks’ leadoff man against stud right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez and the Rockies today.
Bloomquist is starting at shortstop for an injured Stephen Drew, so I won’t mock his presence in the lineup, but putting him in the leadoff spot is absurd and makes Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez batting Jason Heyward sixth yesterday look downright genius.
During the past three seasons Bloomquist hit .259 with a ghastly .300 on-base percentage and .328 slugging percentage versus right-handed pitchers and in that same time period Jimenez held right-handed hitters to a .224 batting average. By putting Bloomquist atop the lineup Gibson is not only giving the most plate appearances to one of the worst hitters in baseball, he’s asking a guy who can’t get on base against righties to set the table for the Diamondbacks’ best hitters.
We’re two days into the season and this is already the leader in the clubhouse for worst lineup decision of 2011, although now that I’ve pointed it out Bloomquist will probably go 5-for-5 with two homers.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)