Apr 1, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for Bloomquist to cast his spell on Arizona manager Kirk Gibson, who has inexplicably written him into the lineup as the Diamondbacks’ leadoff man against stud right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez and the Rockies today.
Bloomquist is starting at shortstop for an injured Stephen Drew, so I won’t mock his presence in the lineup, but putting him in the leadoff spot is absurd and makes Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez batting Jason Heyward sixth yesterday look downright genius.
During the past three seasons Bloomquist hit .259 with a ghastly .300 on-base percentage and .328 slugging percentage versus right-handed pitchers and in that same time period Jimenez held right-handed hitters to a .224 batting average. By putting Bloomquist atop the lineup Gibson is not only giving the most plate appearances to one of the worst hitters in baseball, he’s asking a guy who can’t get on base against righties to set the table for the Diamondbacks’ best hitters.
We’re two days into the season and this is already the leader in the clubhouse for worst lineup decision of 2011, although now that I’ve pointed it out Bloomquist will probably go 5-for-5 with two homers.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)