Apr 1, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for Bloomquist to cast his spell on Arizona manager Kirk Gibson, who has inexplicably written him into the lineup as the Diamondbacks’ leadoff man against stud right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez and the Rockies today.
Bloomquist is starting at shortstop for an injured Stephen Drew, so I won’t mock his presence in the lineup, but putting him in the leadoff spot is absurd and makes Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez batting Jason Heyward sixth yesterday look downright genius.
During the past three seasons Bloomquist hit .259 with a ghastly .300 on-base percentage and .328 slugging percentage versus right-handed pitchers and in that same time period Jimenez held right-handed hitters to a .224 batting average. By putting Bloomquist atop the lineup Gibson is not only giving the most plate appearances to one of the worst hitters in baseball, he’s asking a guy who can’t get on base against righties to set the table for the Diamondbacks’ best hitters.
We’re two days into the season and this is already the leader in the clubhouse for worst lineup decision of 2011, although now that I’ve pointed it out Bloomquist will probably go 5-for-5 with two homers.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)