Astros closer Brandon Lyon implodes as Phillies win with ninth inning rally

Apr 1, 2011, 4:27 PM EDT

brandon-lyon-astros AP

Houston scored just one run off reigning Cy Young winner Roy Halladay, but managed to work his pitch count and get him out of today’s game after six innings before tacking on three runs against the Phillies’ bullpen.

With a 4-2 lead entering the ninth inning they called on Brandon Lyon to close out the unlikely win … and he promptly recorded just one out while allowing six singles on an assortment of high-80s meatballs, including John Mayberry Jr.’s walk-off “single” over center fielder Michael Bourn‘s head.

Halladay was taken off the hook for what would’ve been a tough loss, Brett Myers got merely a no-decision despite seven strong innings, and after eight innings of confusion order has been restored to the National League hierarchy.

1. Utley's Hair - Apr 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM

But where’s the offense, man!!!!

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Apr 1, 2011 at 4:33 PM

So here we are, opening day II, and one of my great pet peeves is already tested. What possible harm can there be in warming up another reliever when you start a 9th inning? 85% of the time, the guy just sits back down when you win the game. The other 15% of the time you don’t leave a closer out there to pitch to 7 hitters and fall apart. It just doesn’t make sense to me. And the argument about hurting a “closer’s confidence” is ridiculous. Is it somehow better for his confidence to go through the kind of thing Lyon did today?

• randomdigits - Apr 1, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I would think that the argument would be about the additional wear on the backup relievers that you have warming up. I am by no means an expert but I think that having folk get up would have a cumulative effect.

• phillybilly57 - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM

sittin on the bench with a bum knee

3. macjacmccoy - Apr 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Yes that’s right, it was all Brandon Lyons doing it had nothing to do with the Phillies offense.

• Concretepiggy - Apr 1, 2011 at 5:00 PM

‘High-80s meatballs’
      Sure, you’ve still gotta hit it. But still…

• chadjones27 - Apr 1, 2011 at 9:52 PM

No offense, but from what I saw, the stuff he was leaving over the plate… even a mediocre offense could have gotten rounded the bases. Picture some of the stuff Moyer did without the control. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for the win, but Lyons kinda made it easy.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 1, 2011 at 5:00 PM

The Phillies smell like poo and taste like poo cake.

• Chris Fiorentino's Rash - Apr 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM

If they smelled bad, why would you taste them?
      You couldn’t just go by word of mouth?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 1, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I’ll try anything once. Even Philly Poo Cake.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 1, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Don’t you mean poo pie? The Bravos just lost their division lead, Heyward.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 1, 2011 at 5:40 PM

No, they are simply tied for the lead is all.

5. dfensfelix - Apr 1, 2011 at 5:11 PM

It’s somewhat disturbing that you’ve tasted the Phillies

• sawxalicious - Apr 1, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I think it’s even more disturbing that he’s tasted poo…

6. bograves - Apr 1, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Be careful Philly dorks, there is going to be a thorn in your world series plans and that pain in your ass is going to be the Braves. I’m going to enjoy this season as much as I enjoyed kicking Philly dudes asses back in the Navy. You guys got lots of talk, but no backbone. Is the word Philly a synonym for pussy?

• chadjones27 - Apr 1, 2011 at 9:59 PM

In the Navy? You were in the Village People? I didn’t know there were any seamen in the Village People.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I didn’t know there were any seamen in the Village People.

oh come on, this is way too easy

7. bograves - Apr 1, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Alright. I tried to kick the hornets nest, but apparently nobodies home. Seriously, this should be a great season and I do understand Philly frustration. He’ll, we were loserville for large parts of my life. I mean you guys have never won a super bowl, consistently have underachieving hockey and basketball teams and your beloved Phillies can’t seem to win a baseball playoff series. Maybe y’all should come on down here. At least the weather and the women are a lot nicer than what you’re used to!

• monsieurbear - Apr 1, 2011 at 8:39 PM

So you are saying that Atlanta has (1) a team that won a Superbowl; (2) an overachieving hockey team; and (3) an overachieving basketball team? The Braves have also won only one post-season series in the last decade. I don’t live in (or near) Philadelphia. Just clarifying the record.

• phillyaces - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM

(4) You forgot he liked pounding ass while he was in the Navy.

• schmedley69 - Apr 1, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Atlanta is a pretty crappy sports town. It used to be the mecca of professional wrestling before Vince McMahon ruined everything, but now they can’t even stake a claim to that.

8. phillybilly57 - Apr 1, 2011 at 11:20 PM

your absolutly right,i think i will plan a trip to atlanta,in the daytime i could go white water rafting {look forward to meeting some hillbillys} and at night maybe take in a braves game with about 2500 braves fans

9. dbsandgbs98 - Apr 2, 2011 at 11:22 PM

And now Astros fans understand why the D-backs let him go. Hot and cold. If only you could figure out which he will be.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4904)