Apr 1, 2011, 9:54 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, Brian Matusz will go on the disabled list with a strained intercostal muscle. Orioles president Andy MacPhail said he’ll be sidelined anywhere from three to six weeks.
Meanwhile, prospect left-hander Zach Britton will be called up to make his major league debut Sunday against the Rays. There was speculation that the Orioles would wait until at least April 21 in an effort to delay his service time for a year, but the injury to Matusz has obviously changed their plans.
The 23-year-old left-hander put up an impressive 1.35 ERA over 20 innings during Grapefruit League play and posted a 2.70 ERA, 1.24 WHIP and 124/51 K/BB ratio over 153 1/2 innings between Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk last season. He was named as the organization’s No. 1 pitching prospect by Baseball America over the winter.
5:17 PM: Brian Matusz will not make his scheduled start tomorrow against the Rays because of a back injury and is headed for an MRI exam, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun.
Matsuz was questionable to make the start in the first place after taking a line drive off his biceps during a simulated game Monday, but was cleared to pitch before being scratched with back soreness.
Selected fourth overall in the 2008 draft, Matusz threw 176 innings with a 4.30 ERA and 143/63 K/BB ratio as a rookie and even at just 24 years old the Orioles were counting on him to help stabilize a very young, inexperienced starting rotation.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)