Apr 1, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
The Mets will kick off their season against the Marlins in a little over 30 minutes, so what better time to check in with former general manager Omar Minaya than right now?
Minaya spoke with George Vecsey of the New York Times yesterday and said that he thinks the Mets are “capable of contending” this season, citing the Braves missing Bobby Cox, the Marlins’ youth and the Phillies’ injuries. He also thinks first baseman Ike Davis could hit 30 home runs this season.
And then there’s the obvious question about his legacy, specifically the massive multi-year contracts he handed to Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez. If Minaya has any regrets about the pair of moves, he isn’t saying.
“Look, obviously, Luis Castillo and Ollie Perez didn’t work out,” he said of the second baseman and pitcher who were finally cut adrift this past month, at considerable ongoing cost. “But I can’t tell you in retrospect I wouldn’t have done it.”
He’s totally owning those mistakes. You have to respect that.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)