Apr 1, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: X-rays on Uribe’s elbow came back negative, according to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.
9:25 PM: The Dodgers have sent Juan Uribe for precautionary X-rays on his left elbow, according to Tony Jackson of ESPN Angeles. Uribe was plunked on the elbow by his former teammate Tim Lincecum during last night’s season opener against the Giants.
“I had him in the lineup, but he came in swollen,” Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. “Stan was actually really surprised. Hopefully, it’s just today.”
With Uribe out, the Dodgers will start Aaron Miles at third base and Ivan DeJesus Jr. at second tonight against Jonathan Sanchez. The Dodgers are already without Casey Blake to begin the season, so the last thing they need is another injury in their infield.
Uribe, 31, signed a three-year, $21 million contract with the Dodgers in November after batting .248/.310/.440 with 24 homers and 85 RBI with the World Champion Giants last season.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)