Apr 1, 2011, 11:49 AM EDT
Rangers manager Ron Washington said over the winter that he wanted to use Julio Borbon in center field this season in an effort to protect the injury-prone Josh Hamilton. Not a bad idea, really, but those plans appeared to be in doubt due to concerns about Borbon’s defense — he committed five errors this spring and was even pulled from a game at one point — and a recent elbow injury.
However, according to Bryan Doglin of ESPN Dallas, Washington has him in the lineup in center field for today’s opener against the Red Sox.
“I’ve always had confidence in him [Borbon]. Just working his butt off, man, trying to get better,” Rangers manager Ron Washington said. “We know that we are going to have to continue to develop him. We believe in him, and I trust he is going to do what he is supposed to out there. The rest is up to Borbon.”
The funny part is that for all of scrutiny Borbon has taken for his defense this spring, UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) actually rated him among the game’s best in center field last season. Of most importance to today’s game, Borbon is in the lineup against Jon Lester, despite a measly .229/.274/.284 batting line over 124 major league plate appearances against southpaws.
It looks like the Rangers are going to give him every opportunity to sink or swim in center field in the early going, but if he stumbles, look for Hamilton to return to center field and David Murphy to play left field.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 42
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 119
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (119)