Apr 1, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Dominguez will miss six to eight weeks.
8:00 PM: Terrible news for one of the game’s best third base prospects.
Marlins president Larry Beinfest said a preliminary X-ray revealed a fracture at the tip of the elbow and that the 21-year-old was being sent to a doctor for further evaluation. There’s no immediate timeline for his return, but you’d have to think it would be a while.
Of course, Dominguez entered spring training with a chance to win the starting third base job with the Marlins, but was reassigned to minors last week after batting just .209 with 10 strikeouts over 43 at-bats this spring. Known as a skilled defender at third base, he was recently ranked as the Marlins’ No. 1 prospect by Baseball America.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)