Apr 1, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Dominguez will miss six to eight weeks.
8:00 PM: Terrible news for one of the game’s best third base prospects.
Marlins president Larry Beinfest said a preliminary X-ray revealed a fracture at the tip of the elbow and that the 21-year-old was being sent to a doctor for further evaluation. There’s no immediate timeline for his return, but you’d have to think it would be a while.
Of course, Dominguez entered spring training with a chance to win the starting third base job with the Marlins, but was reassigned to minors last week after batting just .209 with 10 strikeouts over 43 at-bats this spring. Known as a skilled defender at third base, he was recently ranked as the Marlins’ No. 1 prospect by Baseball America.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)