Apr 1, 2011, 8:00 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Dominguez will miss six to eight weeks.
8:00 PM: Terrible news for one of the game’s best third base prospects.
Marlins president Larry Beinfest said a preliminary X-ray revealed a fracture at the tip of the elbow and that the 21-year-old was being sent to a doctor for further evaluation. There’s no immediate timeline for his return, but you’d have to think it would be a while.
Of course, Dominguez entered spring training with a chance to win the starting third base job with the Marlins, but was reassigned to minors last week after batting just .209 with 10 strikeouts over 43 at-bats this spring. Known as a skilled defender at third base, he was recently ranked as the Marlins’ No. 1 prospect by Baseball America.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)