Apr 1, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Dominguez will miss six to eight weeks.
8:00 PM: Terrible news for one of the game’s best third base prospects.
Marlins president Larry Beinfest said a preliminary X-ray revealed a fracture at the tip of the elbow and that the 21-year-old was being sent to a doctor for further evaluation. There’s no immediate timeline for his return, but you’d have to think it would be a while.
Of course, Dominguez entered spring training with a chance to win the starting third base job with the Marlins, but was reassigned to minors last week after batting just .209 with 10 strikeouts over 43 at-bats this spring. Known as a skilled defender at third base, he was recently ranked as the Marlins’ No. 1 prospect by Baseball America.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12