On my way to Opening Day

Apr 1, 2011, 9:42 AM EDT

Progressive Field Snow

I’m about ready to leave my fortified compound and hit the road up to Cleveland for Opening Day, where I’ll see the Tribe take on the White Sox.  While there I’ll be the guest of the Indians in the Indians Social Suite, which should be cool. Depending on the conditions (of both me and the suite) I may blog. But I will definitely be on Twitter spouting off about the game, so give me a follow.

I have mixed feelings about taking in games from suites. They’re fabulous — oh, they’re fabulous — but for all of the luxury, they’re kinda … well, wrong in some very important ways. As I wrote the first time I ever took in a game in a suite:

Baseball just isn’t baseball if you’re not trying to flag down a beer guy. Or fighting for arm rest space. Or listening to some yahoo three seats down explaining to everyone that Adam Dunn should “take what the defense gives him” and try to take balls the opposite way. I love the comfy environs of the suite life, but watching baseball shouldn’t be that easy. At the risk of trafficking in kneejerk populism, I can’t help but think that the experience of watching a game should simply be more democratic. I don’t feel comfortable being an elite up there in a skybox, even if I enjoy almost every second of it when I do so.

But no, you can’t have my ticket. Are you nuts? The White Sox were having friggin’ snowball fights at Progressive Field yesterday!  And let’s leave it to Ozzie Guillen to put an April 1st game in Cleveland in perspective:

“Very stupid to play in Cleveland right now. Nothing against Cleveland.  We expect that. When you play in Cleveland on Opening Day…a couple years ago they canceled like 30 games here.”

So, yeah, though I promise to sit in the outside portion as much as possible, I’m not gonna sneeze at the suite.  And save it, because if you say you would, you’re lying.

Play ball. And pass the caviar.

1. drunkenhooliganism - Apr 1, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I’ll be thinking of your plight when I’m sitting in my seats in three hours in Philly. I live ten miles from the stadium and it’s snowing right now. Should be awesome.

2. BC - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Is it any stupider playing baseball outdoors in Florida when you have rain delays or rainouts every day from May to October?

3. motherscratcher23 - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Make sure you give a full report on the suite Craig. The higher ups are trying to get a night in the social network suite for us at this one website I dick around on.

I’m with you, I have mixed feelings about suites. I wouldn’t want to sit in one for every game, BUT, for one game they are absolutely fantabulous. Especially when the game is close to Lake Erie on April 1st. Enjoy yourself.

I’m also following you on twitter now. I’m also following Old Hoss Radbourn. He’s a tough act to follow. Don’t let me down dude.

4. Davidw7 - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:23 AM

lol, I won’t judge, Craig!

Have fun. Ozzie is great for a quote ain’t he.

5. roycethebaseballhack - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM

So sad…so very sad. I’m 900 yards from The Ballpark in Arlington, where I can see frisbees flying across the parking lots, smoke wafting up from grills, and the only people not drinking beer are still sipping coffee.
    It’s currently 65 degrees and sunny. Highs today in the lower 80’s – a light breeze from the South. Opening Day in Arlington is a thing of beauty – and a thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• larrytsg - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:55 AM

OK, nice early season shot for us frozen northern inhabitants…. but try a Sunday afternoon game in Arlington in July….. or an evening game in August……

6. BC - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM

2 inches of snow and slush here in Connecticut. I’ll wait until after this weekend (think: Final Four) to devote time to baseball, though the Mets will probably be 15 games out by then.

7. uyf1950 - Apr 1, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Craig – Don’t know if you have seen this piece. So I’m attaching the link. You might find it interesting it’s about Andy Pettitte.
    If true I’m sure I’m not the only Yankee fan that thought Andy had more class then this. I guess a little bit of Clemens did rub off on Pettitte. But it is what it is.

• uyf1950 - Apr 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Upon further research it was determined the piece was an April Fools Joke by the blogger. All I can say is not funny.

8. gogigantos - Apr 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM

trying to remember how I felt on my way to the Windy ‘Stick any day in June
    was it dread or was secure with my parka in my pack that I was prepared for all conditions we might encounter thru nine,, never mind the pre and post game in the lot,,

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3517)