Apr 1, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT

Ring! Ring!

Pete Rose: Hello?

Bud Selig: Pete, it’s Commissioner Selig. How are you?

Rose: Awful. Because I’m Pete Rose and my very existence is borderline pathetic.

Selig: That’s great, Pete. Hey: I got some good news and some bad news.

Rose: Shoot. The Hit King is listening.

Selig: The good news is that we’ve repealed the rules against gambling on baseball and have reinstated you.

Rose: Wow! That’s fantastic! My dream come true! What’s the bad news?

Selig: The bad news is that as soon as we did that, the Hall of Fame Veterans Committee met for a vote and you were rejected.

Rose: Oh no! Why? I have more hits than anyone! I have three World Series rings! What possibly could have possessed them to reject my candidacy?

Selig: That jacket you wore at yesterday’s Reds-Brewers game. Dude. Seriously.

(photo via TedQuarters)

1. Panda Claus - Apr 1, 2011 at 8:55 AM

That hat is also offensive in it’s own way. Should’ve worn the classic lid like the kid next to him.

2. bobwsc - Apr 1, 2011 at 9:03 AM

and the ‘ambervision’ sunglasses…and the bad dye job. chr|st Pete, pull yourself together. how is a newly single guy going to haul in any tail looking like that?

• bigdicktater - Apr 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Google “pete rose girlfriend” and see for yourself!

• ta192 - Apr 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Evidently, Pete still handles the bat well…

3. mattraw - Apr 1, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Oh Pete…does Ellen Cleghorn know you raid her wardrobe?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Ah…vintage SNL opening reference. Well played, sir.

4. heyblueyoustink - Apr 1, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Hey, what’s Brandon Webb doing sitting next to Pete Rose at an opening day Reds game. That’s no way to be conspicuous if you’re trying to play hookie, sitting next to Pete and technicolor dream coat

5. fishfan46 - Apr 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM

My first thought when I saw this during the game was “I thought Marge Schott was dead?”

6. Jonny 5 - Apr 1, 2011 at 9:31 AM

In what world do you see that thing hanging on a rack for sale, and instead of just making fun of it, posing with it for pictures and all, you actually buy it? Not to mention the Hat and glasses… Wow. Rose is one tacky mother %$^^#er . Not to take anything away from his on field greatness at all. But the facts are there above for everyone to see in black and white. And red, and pink, and purple, and green, and taupe, and light green, and brown, and brick red, and baby turd green, and gold, and Yellow, and……. well you get the point. I wonder if he was wearing MC Hammer pants too? A man’s got to coordinate you know…

7. lilevil74 - Apr 1, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Take steroids and cheat the game? You can keep playing.
    Bet on your own team? Banned
    You gotta love the hypocrisy!

Wear what you will Pete. I think the jacket would be par on any golf course.

• Kevin S. - Apr 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM

How is that hypocrisy? Betting on baseball has been punishable by expulsion for almost a century now. MLB showed little interest in punishing steroid usage until public outcry forced them into testing. Rose knew his actions had consequences. Players taking steroids had plenty of reason to believe there would be no consequences.

• Alex K - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Where is there any hypocrisy? They are two totally different rules.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:13 AM

@Kevin @Alex
      Shhhhh… It’s an easier position to defend when lilevil doesn’t have to think about it at all.

• mercyflush - Apr 1, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I think lilevil needs to look up the word hypocrisy.

he’s comparing apples to oranges.

8. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:14 AM

If that were actually Pete Rose, I’d be concerned. But I’m pretty sure that’s an old woman. I mean, it is Cincinnati, so it can be hard to tell…

9. bradwins - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I’m not a huge Pete Rose fan, but I am sad to see that he is now homeless.

10. bigharold - Apr 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I don’t understand what the problem is with Pete’s jacket, … and no I’m not color blind.

It looks like it could’ve been taken from Heathcliff Huxtable’s closet. Of course that show was all the rage in 1986 but other than that it’s quite stylish.

11. professor59 - Apr 1, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Pretty sure that’s Mry Lou Retton. But I never could tell the two apart…

Aw, and somebody got the Cosby ref before me!

12. steve keane - Apr 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Hey Pete, Joseph called he’d like his Technocolored Dream Coat back

13. a125125125 - Apr 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Wow…..why would you wear a jacket like that……unless maybe you lost a bet?

14. sosascork - Apr 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Pete’s spending way too much time in Las Vegas.

15. ltzep75 - Apr 1, 2011 at 1:55 PM

you’re all wrong…

Pete is clearly trying to set up a Wilpon “obviously bad decisions defense” to exculpate himself from his own misdeeds. “Why Mr. Commissioner, I did not know gambling was banned, illegal, and immoral. How didn’t I know: I’m an idiot who makes bad decisions. I mean, look at my jacket! And Glasses! and Hat! I’m clearly not in the haberdashery business…”

BTW: this was all just a ploy to use the term “haberdashery”.

16. sportschump - Apr 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Hey, Pete… What’d ya’, lose a bet?

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3952)