Apr 1, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Pete Rose: Hello?
Bud Selig: Pete, it’s Commissioner Selig. How are you?
Rose: Awful. Because I’m Pete Rose and my very existence is borderline pathetic.
Selig: That’s great, Pete. Hey: I got some good news and some bad news.
Rose: Shoot. The Hit King is listening.
Selig: The good news is that we’ve repealed the rules against gambling on baseball and have reinstated you.
Rose: Wow! That’s fantastic! My dream come true! What’s the bad news?
Selig: The bad news is that as soon as we did that, the Hall of Fame Veterans Committee met for a vote and you were rejected.
Rose: Oh no! Why? I have more hits than anyone! I have three World Series rings! What possibly could have possessed them to reject my candidacy?
Selig: That jacket you wore at yesterday’s Reds-Brewers game. Dude. Seriously.
(photo via TedQuarters)
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)