Apr 1, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Pete Rose: Hello?
Bud Selig: Pete, it’s Commissioner Selig. How are you?
Rose: Awful. Because I’m Pete Rose and my very existence is borderline pathetic.
Selig: That’s great, Pete. Hey: I got some good news and some bad news.
Rose: Shoot. The Hit King is listening.
Selig: The good news is that we’ve repealed the rules against gambling on baseball and have reinstated you.
Rose: Wow! That’s fantastic! My dream come true! What’s the bad news?
Selig: The bad news is that as soon as we did that, the Hall of Fame Veterans Committee met for a vote and you were rejected.
Rose: Oh no! Why? I have more hits than anyone! I have three World Series rings! What possibly could have possessed them to reject my candidacy?
Selig: That jacket you wore at yesterday’s Reds-Brewers game. Dude. Seriously.
(photo via TedQuarters)
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 20
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 46
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)