Apr 1, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Pete Rose: Hello?
Bud Selig: Pete, it’s Commissioner Selig. How are you?
Rose: Awful. Because I’m Pete Rose and my very existence is borderline pathetic.
Selig: That’s great, Pete. Hey: I got some good news and some bad news.
Rose: Shoot. The Hit King is listening.
Selig: The good news is that we’ve repealed the rules against gambling on baseball and have reinstated you.
Rose: Wow! That’s fantastic! My dream come true! What’s the bad news?
Selig: The bad news is that as soon as we did that, the Hall of Fame Veterans Committee met for a vote and you were rejected.
Rose: Oh no! Why? I have more hits than anyone! I have three World Series rings! What possibly could have possessed them to reject my candidacy?
Selig: That jacket you wore at yesterday’s Reds-Brewers game. Dude. Seriously.
(photo via TedQuarters)
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)