Apr 2, 2011, 11:10 AM EDT
Zito was involved in a two-car accident Wednesday night while driving his rented Cadillac in Los Angeles. While he walked away with a stiff neck, he said yesterday that things could have been a lot worse if his instincts didn’t take over.
“If I didn’t make a decision to hit the gas when I saw him, he would’ve hit the front of the car. Then it’d be a whole different story. “… It’s a scary sound, you know? Just to hear metal on metal crunching.
“Overall, I feel a whole lot better today than yesterday. I expect it to feel even better tomorrow.”
Zito underwent an MRI on Thursday morning which thankfully came back normal. While he continues to receive treatment, he was able to throw all of his pitches out of his windup yesterday. He looks like a go for Sunday.
Zito, 32, posted a 4.15 ERA over 199 1/3 innings last season. He is still owed $65 million through the 2013 season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)