Apr 2, 2011, 11:10 AM EDT
Zito was involved in a two-car accident Wednesday night while driving his rented Cadillac in Los Angeles. While he walked away with a stiff neck, he said yesterday that things could have been a lot worse if his instincts didn’t take over.
“If I didn’t make a decision to hit the gas when I saw him, he would’ve hit the front of the car. Then it’d be a whole different story. “… It’s a scary sound, you know? Just to hear metal on metal crunching.
“Overall, I feel a whole lot better today than yesterday. I expect it to feel even better tomorrow.”
Zito underwent an MRI on Thursday morning which thankfully came back normal. While he continues to receive treatment, he was able to throw all of his pitches out of his windup yesterday. He looks like a go for Sunday.
Zito, 32, posted a 4.15 ERA over 199 1/3 innings last season. He is still owed $65 million through the 2013 season.
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 33
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)