Deep thought: Brian Cashman says Pedro Feliciano was “abused” by Mets

Apr 2, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT

Feliciano_Pedro

Interesting comments by Yankees general manager Brian Cashman today. According to Jack Curry of YES Network, he said that Pedro Feliciano was “abused” during his time with the Mets.

The amazing part is that Cashman is acting like this is somehow news. Feliciano has led the majors in appearances over the past three seasons and became just the fifth pitcher in baseball history to make 90 or more appearances in a season last year. You’re damn right he was abused.

Feliciano, who was signed to a two-year, $8 million contract with a club option for 2013 this winter, is currently on the disabled list with a left rotator cuff strain.

We’ll have to assume the Yankees were aware of the risk involved, but Cashman said he signed Feliciano anyway because there was a limited market for left-handed relievers this winter. It must be nice to have the ability to recklessly throw money at left-handed specialists.

1. Ari Collins - Apr 2, 2011 at 3:10 PM

More importantly, no one has EVER made that many appearances over a three year span. EVER. During the timespan of HISTORY.

• D.J. Short - Apr 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Indeed. The history of ever is a lot.

2. tsi4431 - Apr 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I don’t think he was abused at all. In fact, if he only pitched in lets say 50 games he would of never received an $8 million dollar deal. If anything, he needs to think the Mets for allowing him to get an easy payday. Yankees thought he was very durable, but they were wrong.

3. joeflaccosunibrow - Apr 2, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Cashman is the worst GM in baseball. The only thing that saves his behind is the deep pockets of the Yankees.

• Ari Collins - Apr 2, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I must strenuously disagree. Does he overpay in FA? Yes. But free agency is always an inefficient way to spend your resources. You ALWAYS overpay. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I’d say that Cashman has occasionally had some big misses in FA, but any GM who uses FA a lot is going to miss bad on occasion. Cashman does a good job of supplementing his all-star purchases with canny trades (Swisher, Granderson) and an occasional homegrown star. And he’d be a bad GM if he DIDN’T use the extra resources at his disposal.

4. wantanotherone - Apr 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I just got a $829.99 iPad 3G 64GB for only $88.37 and my mom also grabbed a $1499.99 HDTV for only $251.92, they are both coming with FED-EX tomorrow. I would be an idiot to ever pay full retail prices at places like Walmart or bestbuy. I sold a 37″ HDTV to my boss for $600 that I only paid $78.24 for. I use SnagBids.com

5. purnellmeagrejr - Apr 3, 2011 at 11:12 AM

The Yankees have always maintained a convalescent home for ballplayers on their down side; it’s what they do.

Three legends off to Cooperstown