Apr 2, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez got off to just about the best start you could ever ask for last season, giving up a grand total of five runs over his first seven starts. However, in yesterday’s 7-6 loss to the Diamondbacks, it took Jimenez just six innings to give up five runs.
Bad starts happen, of course, but the most troubling part about Jimenez’s performance was the general lack of velocity and movement on his pitches. According to Brooks Baseball, the 26-year-old right-hander topped out at 95.1 mph and averaged 93.36 mph yesterday, more than a couple ticks down from his 96.1 mph average from last season. After averaging 8.69 K/9 last season, Jimenez struck out just one batter yesterday. The fewest he struck out last year in a start was two. And while it’s not a major part of his arsenal, Jimenez threw just four curveballs in the entire game.
I’m not a scout or anything — just a fan here — but even Jimenez admitted to Thomas Harding of MLB.com that he “didn’t have anything working.”
So, what’s going on here? It’s probably a bit too soon to panic, but Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero had some interesting comments following the extra-inning victory.
“I noticed when he threw me a couple of fastballs, it was kind of weird,” said Montero, who doubled in the second inning and has homered on three of his five career hits against Jimenez. “I don’t know, honestly. I don’t think he was throwing that hard. I wonder if he’s all right.”
It turns out he wasn’t completely himself. According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Rockies pitching coach Bob Apodaca confirmed that Jimenez cut his finger during the team’s open workout Thursday. Both Jimenez and Apodaca downplayed the injury following the game and he’s still expected to make his next start. Hopefully this is just a situation where he just couldn’t get his usual grip on the baseball. The Rockies need Jimenez to be himself in order to have a legitimate shot to win the NL West.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 0
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 34
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 25
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)