Apr 2, 2011, 12:14 PM EDT
According to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, the Braves are prepared to go the precautionary route and place Jair Jurrjens on the disabled list with an injury to his right side. They aren’t expected to make an official announcement until he throws a side session tomorrow.
The Braves have been shooting for Jurrjens to make his season debut on Wednesday, but if they backdate his DL-stint, he could be back as soon as next Saturday against the Phillies.
Jurrjens hasn’t thrown off a mound since leaving a Grapefruit League start on March 24 with soreness in his side. If he can’t go Wednesday, look for the Braves to call up Mike Minor to make the start. The 23-year-old Minor lost the fifth starter job to Brandon Beachy during spring training.
Jurrjens, 24, posted a 4.64 ERA over 116 1/3 innings last season. He was limited to just 20 starts due to a left hamstring injury and a right knee injury which eventually required surgery.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)