Jim Edmonds criticizes Reds’ doctors, Brandon Phillips

Apr 2, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

First, a little backstory here.

Jim Edmonds signed a minor league contract with the Cardinals in February, but was forced to retire weeks later due to a nagging right Achilles injury. It was an injury he dealt with prior to accepting a trade to the Reds last August, but he didn’t have another at-bat after September 21.

OK, now that you’re all caught up, check this out. According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, during a radio interview with KFNS in St. Louis that aired Thursday, Edmonds criticized the Reds for the way the injury was handled.

“It’s still awful. I still can’t do the things I want to do,” Edmonds said. “I’m really frustrated. I don’t know the right words to use towards the Cincinnati doctors. I’m in a situation now where I thought I’d never be in. I went so far in my career without really having a huge injury and had a bunch of surgeries. I thought ‘Gosh, I’m going to be able to get out of this with my health, my kids will be happy and I’m hoping to be able to walk out of this.’ Now I can’t walk and chase my kids around. Surgery is the option right now. That would be a year rehab. I’m not looking forward to that.

“The worst thing I did was accept that trade for [Reds general manager] Walt Jocketty. I should have shut it down and went home. I would be healthy right now and probably playing.”

Ouch. Edmonds also had some choice words for Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips, who was front and center in the infamous benches-clearing brawl with the Cardinals last September. The brawl occurred just one day after Edmonds was acquired from the Brewers.

“Other than that one situation with that one player, they’re a young, talented, nice group of guys,” Edmonds said, referring to Phillips. “I think that one incident was very unfortunate and it put a black eye on the rest of the rivalry. … He says he wouldn’t take it back, but hopefully he learned from that and realizes that he was overboard there and causing another distraction that especially the Reds didn’t need.”

Meanwhile, Phillips took to his Twitter feed to respond yesterday, saying the following:

LOL. Awww! That’s so sweet! Trust me, there are so many things I can say about him [and] y’all would look at him different! “HATER IN DA HOUSE”

We’ll probably never know if Edmonds has a legitimate gripe with the Reds doctors — remember, this is a 40-year-old we’re not talking about, not someone who is 25 — but it’s safe to say that the rivalry between the Reds and Cardinals just got a little more juice. As if it needed it.

1. akismet-a8fe3a4ae8752f7c8fb849fa7b4bdb07 - Apr 2, 2011 at 10:59 AM

So he admits he should have shut himself down before coming to the Reds, then got hurt, and somehow it’s the Reds fault? What a crybaby.

2. elmaquino - Apr 2, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Brandon Phillips sure makes it hard for anybody to like him.

• comments4 - Apr 3, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Bandon Phillips was not the problem. Yadier Molina was. He created the mess last year over a tap hello to his shin guards. Evry other major league cathcer that faced the Reds the past few years were aware of that. Molina is a punk.

Anyone knocking Brandon Phillips, including Jim Edmunds, is ignorant. I would expect ignorance of elmaquino & the 48 (to-date) who stupidly gave his post a thumbs-up. I expect that they are simply non-thnking Cards fans. There are certainly enough of them out there.

Jim Edmunds knows better. Only Jim can tell you why he’s spewing such bull, but given the fact that Brandon Phillips is a stand-up guy, I now know that Edmunds definitely is not.

• elmaquino - Apr 5, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Dude why do you think Yadi did what he did? It’s because Phillips cussed the WHOLE TEAM out the night before and then tried to be the nice guy before running away from the fight he started.

Get your facts straight. Like the fact that it’s spelled “EDMONDS.”

• comments4 - Apr 6, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Fact, a quotation from the article you referenced:

“Phillips was talking about a couple of incidents when La Russa and pitching coach Dave Duncan complained about baseballs in Great American Ball Park being too slick because they weren’t rubbed up properly, or the time they complained about something on pitcher Bronson Arroyo’s hat.”

That is, in fact, whiny. Brandon phillips is allowed to call the Cards out on that.

Fact: Yadier Molina was the punk that started the fight. Claiming that Phillips did by his comments the night before, then with the tap to Molina’s shin guards is clearly ignorant.

If you and I meet, someday, and I say hello to you, then you throw a punch at me for misspelling Edmunds’ name, will you accuse me of starting that fight?

• elmaquino - Apr 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Phillips has tapped Yadi’s shinguards before with no issue. But the day after Phillips disrespected his team, there was a fight. Is that so hard to understand?

And they pointed out that he was CHEATING. Yoy arent supposed to cheat, and you feel slighted when someone cheats to get an advantage. So, you say something and it doesnt happen again.

• comments4 - Apr 6, 2011 at 1:38 PM

More elmaquino ignorance offered as fact. Dave Duncan accuses Bronson Arroyo of cheating, so ignorant elmaquino assumes it’s fact. Fact: The hat was examined and no pine tar was found. Fact: The umpire for the game told La Russa that the balls were rubbed down properly before the game and that there was nothing wrong with them.

Since Arroyo wasn’t cheating and the balls were fine, Brandon Phillips was right to call Duncan & La Russa out for whining.

There’s a difference between saying something and assaulting someone. Molina was a hot-headed punk who screwed up big time by getting physical. Watch the video, too, and you’ll see the whiny La Russa making things worse rather than calming things down. The true gentleman on the field was Scott Rolen.

• elmaquino - Apr 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM

why wouldn’t you just ask and make sure?! It can’t hurt!

Phillips doesn’t wanna get popped in the mouth, he should keep it shut and stay out of Yadi’s face.

Done with you dude. Not worth my time.

• comments4 - Apr 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM

See you, “dude”. Glad you won’t be spreading anymore of your “facts”.

You are wrong, again, of course. Fact: Molina is the one that got into Phillips’ face. Molina was the punk.

You can justify Molina’s starting the fight all you want, but he’s the one at fault because he threw a physical tantrum over words. If you think that is fine, then you won’t be missed.

3. mattybank - Apr 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

What a d-bag. JE just go and leave the game play with your kids and quit crying. We all feel so sorry about you banking at least $8MM in your career and having to deal with an achilles injury. Go have surgery. Rehab is 6-8 months you py.

• sawxalicious - Apr 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Edmonds made $86,422,907 in his career. I’m just an regular joe, so it’s kinda hard if not impossible for me to feel any pity or compassion for his injury….

4. metalhead65 - Apr 2, 2011 at 2:16 PM

hye edmonds hate to break it to you but the reds won without you. you pretty much proved Phillips comments were right on tatget. once a cardnial always one right?just wish the reds gm would stop signing washed up has been overraated guys like you simply because they once played for the cards. and yea he was overrated! look another fly ball let me dive for it so I can make sportscenter tonite. I don’t suppose roids would have anything to do with your best years would it jimmy? he shows what class he has by refering to his former teammates by thier position and not thier names with the exception of rolen and gomes. you can’t say the name of the national league mvp? his name is JOEY VOTTO! no wonder he fit right in with the genius and the rest of the bums on the cards, he is a pompous ass just like them!

5. cintiphil - Apr 2, 2011 at 7:07 PM

The sad thing is that Edmonds is mostly right. Phillips is a favorite here, but even people who knew him for years before he was a Red, felt he was too abrasive. In Cleveland he was warned by people around him that he had better cool it or he would not play up to his potential. Cincinnati was his last chance, and he made the best of it, until his outbursts last year. It is OK to get a little heated in some situations, but then for gods sake cool down. He lost a little fan love here after the bad blood between the Reds and Cards. It was mostly initiated by him and Cueto who ended the career of LaRue with a kick to the head with his cleats. Then refusing to apologize just made it worse. If you want that kind of action, play another sport. Maybe the WWF where is all for fun. But, we still like Brandon here. He is one of the best players we have on the team.

6. sleater2011 - Apr 2, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Brandon Phillips was 100% right about Saint Louis and I’m so glad he didn’t back down and apologize. They whine and cry about everything and everyone in baseball besides Cardinal fans were sick of it. The only thing Edmonds was right about is that he should have shut it down, this is not Walts fault or The Reds fault and coming off like this makes him like a sore loser crybaby.

7. wantanotherone - Apr 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I just got a $829.99 iPad 3G 64GB for only $88.37 and my mom also grabbed a $1499.99 HDTV for only $251.92, they are both coming with FED-EX tomorrow. I would be an idiot to ever pay full retail prices at places like Walmart or bestbuy. I sold a 37″ HDTV to my boss for $600 that I only paid $78.24 for. I use SnagBids.com

8. cintiphil - Apr 4, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Well, I was at the game, and I can tell you that we all wanted Brandon to just shut up and play. The day after ripping the redbirds (very poor judgment) he went up to the plate to try to “make friends ” with Molina. Another bad decision. We all just wanted him to get in and play the game. Do you honestly think Molina was thinking “This guy is just my friend”, and no matter what he just said about the Cardinals doesn’t count? Get real. these guys are fierce competitors, and having played a little, I would not put up with that either. So where did this start? It actually started the day before with the stupid comments by Brandon, and then trying to make believe he is just a friend to Molina. You tap the shin guards of the catcher when you are trying to make a pleasant greeting of competitors so to speak, not in the circumstances Brandon Created. If I were on the Cardinals, and Molina didn’t respond the way he did, I would not want him on my team. All he said initially to Phillips is “don’t hit my chin gards, you are not my friend”. then Brandon and Cueto took it higher.

• grizz2202 - Apr 4, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Thanks, Cintiphil. You’re seem to be a reasonable person, and I respect that, and I’m a Cards fan. Too often, we get so blinded by our team bias, that we can’t overlook someone over-reacting in the name of team spirit.

I thought everyone in Cincy thought BP was an even-tempered, cool-headed free spirit and that BP was mercilessly attacked by a horde of 5,000 men. Only the heroic actions of Johnny “Kobra Kai” Cueto were able to save BP’s endangered life. This, as we truly know in our heart of hearts, is just not the case.

I just always think it’s nice to hear someone say that their player was in the wrong, and just move on from it. I’m absolutely positive, as a Cards fan, that Yadi could’ve kept his mouth shut. Or that the entire teams could have sat their happy butts on the bench and not have to have a brawl. I love a good brawl as much as the next guy, but between the Mets and Phils. I don’t want to see one of my guys go on the DL, or have a career ending face injury.

So sincere thanks for realizing and pointing out that bad people do bad things, no matter which city is on the front of their jersey. :)

Three legends off to Cooperstown