Just in case you needed a reminder, Johnny Damon is not Carl Crawford

Apr 2, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT

Damon_Johnny

We knew the Rays were going to take a step back defensively when they signed Johnny Damon to replace Gold Glover Carl Crawford in left field. Unfortunately for Rays fans, the difference became pretty clear during yesterday’s Opening Day loss to Orioles.

Damon sprinted to catch up with a ball that was hit to the left center field gap by Brian Roberts in the top of the fifth inning. He went into a slide and then tried to transfer the ball to center fielder B.J. Upton, but let’s just say that didn’t work out too well. It went for a two-run triple.

As Damon told Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the play was bizarrely reminiscent of the time Manny Ramirez infamously cut off Damon’s throw at Fenway Park.

“We were trying to do that triple cutoff man again,” Damon said. “Manny’s not out there, so I thought I would try it with B.J.”

Hey, at least Damon has a sense of humor about the whole thing. Have to give him credit for that.

You can watch the play here or just keep reliving it in GIF form. It has no doubt affected my productivity this morning.

1. derekjetersmansion - Apr 2, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Ummmm…Johnny Damon, ladies and gentlemen!

2. pisano - Apr 2, 2011 at 12:29 PM

You get what you pay for. At this stage of the game Damon should be thought of as a DH or pinch hitter only, but it could be worse by having Damon in center field and having Manny in left. Count your blessings Rays.

3. derpdederpdederp - Apr 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM

its gonna be a long year for rays fans. good thing most of them dont show up to the ballpark until playoff time and therefore wont have to witness this debacle of a season

• florida76 - Apr 2, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Crawford will be sorely missed, both offensively and defensively, to be sure. Damon and Manny are just getting old, and the Rays bullpen is untested. This looks like a 82-84 win team, and the attendance will tail off significantly, forcing another cut in payroll for 2012.

• pisano - Apr 2, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I hate to beat a dead horse, but there’s a saying in business that goes,”expand or deteriorate” and the Rays can’t expand financially. It’s a shame because they had the beginning a possible long run at the top.

• uyf1950 - Apr 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM

florida – how much lower can the Rays cut the payroll it’s already estimated at only $41MM 2nd lowest in the Major Leagues.

pisano, my friend. How are you? I wanted to respond to your earlier post about Damon. I’m not sure Damon is even going to be good as a DH this year. Personally I think you can stick a fork in him, he’s done. That’s just my opinion. One final comment on the subject of Damon to all those posters that criticized Cashman at the end of the 2009 season for not signing to a 2 year deal. I think it’s pretty evident now that Cashman know what he was doing. There is a reason why he’s the GM and we all sit around a computer posting comments and criticizing his decisions/choices. Again, need I say it. That’s just my opinion. Take care my friend, talk later.

4. wantanotherone - Apr 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I just got a $829.99 iPad 3G 64GB for only $88.37 and my mom also grabbed a $1499.99 HDTV for only $251.92, they are both coming with FED-EX tomorrow. I would be an idiot to ever pay full retail prices at places like Walmart or bestbuy. I sold a 37″ HDTV to my boss for $600 that I only paid $78.24 for. I use SnagBids.com

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3328)