Apr 2, 2011, 7:02 PM EDT
UPDATE, 7:02 PM: Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com has a bit more information.
Simon arrived in Florida on Saturday afternoon and will work out at the Orioles’ spring training complex in Sarasota on Sunday. The club is going to stretch him out as a starter.
4:10 PM: Well, here’s a surprise.
Phil Issac, the agent for Alfredo Simon, told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that the right-hander is expected to arrive in Florida sometime this afternoon. The information was confirmed by an Orioles’ official.
Simon was granted bail on March 3 after being held in the Dominican Republic for the New Year’s Eve shooting that killed Michel Esteban Castillo Almonte and injured another person. While Simon hasn’t been completely absolved of the shooting, he was able to obtain a visa to come to the United States.
The Orioles placed Simon on the restricted list in February, but the expectation is that the 29-year-old will soon begin a throwing program in preparation for the season.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 0
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)