Apr 2, 2011, 7:02 PM EDT
UPDATE, 7:02 PM: Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com has a bit more information.
Simon arrived in Florida on Saturday afternoon and will work out at the Orioles’ spring training complex in Sarasota on Sunday. The club is going to stretch him out as a starter.
4:10 PM: Well, here’s a surprise.
Phil Issac, the agent for Alfredo Simon, told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that the right-hander is expected to arrive in Florida sometime this afternoon. The information was confirmed by an Orioles’ official.
Simon was granted bail on March 3 after being held in the Dominican Republic for the New Year’s Eve shooting that killed Michel Esteban Castillo Almonte and injured another person. While Simon hasn’t been completely absolved of the shooting, he was able to obtain a visa to come to the United States.
The Orioles placed Simon on the restricted list in February, but the expectation is that the 29-year-old will soon begin a throwing program in preparation for the season.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)