Apr 2, 2011, 7:02 PM EST
UPDATE, 7:02 PM: Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com has a bit more information.
Simon arrived in Florida on Saturday afternoon and will work out at the Orioles’ spring training complex in Sarasota on Sunday. The club is going to stretch him out as a starter.
4:10 PM: Well, here’s a surprise.
Phil Issac, the agent for Alfredo Simon, told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that the right-hander is expected to arrive in Florida sometime this afternoon. The information was confirmed by an Orioles’ official.
Simon was granted bail on March 3 after being held in the Dominican Republic for the New Year’s Eve shooting that killed Michel Esteban Castillo Almonte and injured another person. While Simon hasn’t been completely absolved of the shooting, he was able to obtain a visa to come to the United States.
The Orioles placed Simon on the restricted list in February, but the expectation is that the 29-year-old will soon begin a throwing program in preparation for the season.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (239)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)