Apr 2, 2011, 7:02 PM EDT
UPDATE, 7:02 PM: Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com has a bit more information.
Simon arrived in Florida on Saturday afternoon and will work out at the Orioles’ spring training complex in Sarasota on Sunday. The club is going to stretch him out as a starter.
4:10 PM: Well, here’s a surprise.
Phil Issac, the agent for Alfredo Simon, told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that the right-hander is expected to arrive in Florida sometime this afternoon. The information was confirmed by an Orioles’ official.
Simon was granted bail on March 3 after being held in the Dominican Republic for the New Year’s Eve shooting that killed Michel Esteban Castillo Almonte and injured another person. While Simon hasn’t been completely absolved of the shooting, he was able to obtain a visa to come to the United States.
The Orioles placed Simon on the restricted list in February, but the expectation is that the 29-year-old will soon begin a throwing program in preparation for the season.
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 3
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 20
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 26
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 17
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 59
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 43
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)