Apr 2, 2011, 7:02 PM EST
UPDATE, 7:02 PM: Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com has a bit more information.
Simon arrived in Florida on Saturday afternoon and will work out at the Orioles’ spring training complex in Sarasota on Sunday. The club is going to stretch him out as a starter.
4:10 PM: Well, here’s a surprise.
Phil Issac, the agent for Alfredo Simon, told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that the right-hander is expected to arrive in Florida sometime this afternoon. The information was confirmed by an Orioles’ official.
Simon was granted bail on March 3 after being held in the Dominican Republic for the New Year’s Eve shooting that killed Michel Esteban Castillo Almonte and injured another person. While Simon hasn’t been completely absolved of the shooting, he was able to obtain a visa to come to the United States.
The Orioles placed Simon on the restricted list in February, but the expectation is that the 29-year-old will soon begin a throwing program in preparation for the season.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)