Apr 3, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Rockies ace Ubaldo Jimenez surrendered six runs over six innings Friday in a rough debut loss to the Diamondbacks. A report Saturday from the Denver Post may give us an idea of why he looked so shaky.
According to the Post‘s Troy Renck, Jimenez has a small cut along his right thumb cuticle and it affects the grip of just about every pitch that he throws.
The Rockies are deciding whether to simply treat it and hope for the best in his next scheduled outing or give him a full week off. Ubaldo had a similar cut in early spring training and cost him a start.
“It’s a little thing, but it’s not,” the right-hander said Saturday.
Jimenez has used moisturizing balm on the cut and plans to soak it in pickle juice. Yes, pickle juice. The thin air in Colorado can sometimes affect the development of scabs.
If he can’t go on Thursday against the Pirates, the Rockies may be forced to call up John Maine or Greg Reynolds from Triple-A Colorado Springs. A stint on the disabled list is not out of the question for Ubaldo.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)