Apr 3, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Rockies ace Ubaldo Jimenez surrendered six runs over six innings Friday in a rough debut loss to the Diamondbacks. A report Saturday from the Denver Post may give us an idea of why he looked so shaky.
According to the Post‘s Troy Renck, Jimenez has a small cut along his right thumb cuticle and it affects the grip of just about every pitch that he throws.
The Rockies are deciding whether to simply treat it and hope for the best in his next scheduled outing or give him a full week off. Ubaldo had a similar cut in early spring training and cost him a start.
“It’s a little thing, but it’s not,” the right-hander said Saturday.
Jimenez has used moisturizing balm on the cut and plans to soak it in pickle juice. Yes, pickle juice. The thin air in Colorado can sometimes affect the development of scabs.
If he can’t go on Thursday against the Pirates, the Rockies may be forced to call up John Maine or Greg Reynolds from Triple-A Colorado Springs. A stint on the disabled list is not out of the question for Ubaldo.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 93
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (93)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)