Apr 3, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Rockies ace Ubaldo Jimenez surrendered six runs over six innings Friday in a rough debut loss to the Diamondbacks. A report Saturday from the Denver Post may give us an idea of why he looked so shaky.
According to the Post‘s Troy Renck, Jimenez has a small cut along his right thumb cuticle and it affects the grip of just about every pitch that he throws.
The Rockies are deciding whether to simply treat it and hope for the best in his next scheduled outing or give him a full week off. Ubaldo had a similar cut in early spring training and cost him a start.
“It’s a little thing, but it’s not,” the right-hander said Saturday.
Jimenez has used moisturizing balm on the cut and plans to soak it in pickle juice. Yes, pickle juice. The thin air in Colorado can sometimes affect the development of scabs.
If he can’t go on Thursday against the Pirates, the Rockies may be forced to call up John Maine or Greg Reynolds from Triple-A Colorado Springs. A stint on the disabled list is not out of the question for Ubaldo.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)