Apr 3, 2011, 11:27 AM EDT
Note to current and future employees and interns of broadcasting companies: not everyone has a great barometer for sarcasm and parody.
According to this report from Adam Rubin of ESPN.com, a SportsNet New York (SNY) employee is in hot water for playing a Mets-mocking clip from the show Family Guy at the end of the club’s season-opening loss to the Marlins on Friday.
In the original Family Guy scene from which the clip was pulled, the always diabolical Stewie Griffin is attending a Mets game where a broadcaster gives this bit of play-by-play:
“Opening Day, and here’s the first pitch. … And the season’s over.”
The SNY employee cut the “season’s over” part when he relayed the clip Friday night after the Mets made their final out, but enough people caught the reference and SNY spokesman Andrew Fegyveresi released a statement about the incident on Saturday:
“It was a very poor decision by an individual employee and the matter is being dealt with internally.”
SNY is obviously in the business of catering to the Mets — not bashing them — but it seems like the kind of April Fool’s joke that can be easily laughed off. And probably is being laughed off internally. In fact, this video of the ordeal is being carried currently on SNY’s own Tumblr page:
Hey, and the Mets are only one game back in the National League East!
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)