Apr 4, 2011, 9:30 PM EST
Pena was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the bottom of the eighth inning after injuring the thumb while trying to catch a throw from Starlin Castro in the top half of the frame.
“He’s OK,” Quade said. “(Pena) said, ‘(I can) play defense, no problem, (and) can swing it, but we got an inning going here, maybe someone would be better off (pinch-hitting).’ Who says that? That’s fantastic to me.”
Pena, who was signed to a one-year, $10 million contract in December, is batting .200 (2-for-10) with a double, four RBI and a 3/3 K/BB ratio over his first four games this season.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (87)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)