Apr 4, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
Pena was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the bottom of the eighth inning after injuring the thumb while trying to catch a throw from Starlin Castro in the top half of the frame.
“He’s OK,” Quade said. “(Pena) said, ‘(I can) play defense, no problem, (and) can swing it, but we got an inning going here, maybe someone would be better off (pinch-hitting).’ Who says that? That’s fantastic to me.”
Pena, who was signed to a one-year, $10 million contract in December, is batting .200 (2-for-10) with a double, four RBI and a 3/3 K/BB ratio over his first four games this season.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 0
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 46
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 6
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 19
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 42