Apr 4, 2011, 9:30 PM EST
Pena was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the bottom of the eighth inning after injuring the thumb while trying to catch a throw from Starlin Castro in the top half of the frame.
“He’s OK,” Quade said. “(Pena) said, ‘(I can) play defense, no problem, (and) can swing it, but we got an inning going here, maybe someone would be better off (pinch-hitting).’ Who says that? That’s fantastic to me.”
Pena, who was signed to a one-year, $10 million contract in December, is batting .200 (2-for-10) with a double, four RBI and a 3/3 K/BB ratio over his first four games this season.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 13
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 15
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)