Cubs’ announced attendance at Wrigley Field under 27,000 for first time since 2002

Apr 4, 2011, 4:42 PM EDT

wrigley-field-cubs Getty Images

The announced attendance at Wrigley Field this afternoon is 26,292, which according to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune is the first time the Cubs have been under 27,000 since 2002.

Worse yet, even that modest total is misleadingly good in terms of actual fans in the seats, as Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that “there’s a fraction of that at Wrigley” to see the Cubs versus Diamondbacks.

Oh, and “one fan has already been booted for running on the field.” No word yet on if they’ll count him as a full person or a half-person in the final tally.

1. BC - Apr 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM

What’s the deal? Is it like 142 below zero there?

• Alex K - Apr 4, 2011 at 5:24 PM

It’s overcast and has been dreary. It’s not cold, but not warm either.

People also don’t expect much from the Cubs this year. I wanted to go, but couldn’t justify taking off work.

• BC - Apr 4, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I couldn’t either. But it would have been like a 15 hour drive from Hartford to Chicago.

• kast2l - Apr 4, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Im sure its not crazy cold there but I guess there is nothing to really be excited for if your a cubs fan, I can’t say thats fact because im not a fan of the cubs (braves fan) but with adam wainwright going down i feel like the central is wide open, but people still have brewers, reds, and cardinals still ahead of the cubs to win the division, but thats why they play the games!

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I had the opportunity to go for free at the last minute. I looked outside, recalled my total lack of respect for the Cubs squad this year, looked outside again, reminded myself of the half of a personal day it would require, then sat back down in my chair and continued working.
    I picked up Wells for the spot start on my fantasy team so I double win.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 4, 2011 at 5:51 PM

But they WON! The curse is over!

• purdueman - Apr 4, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Gee… the Cubs are playing the two worst teams in their league in back to back series and win a few… oh boy… there goes the curse of the billy goat all right!

3. purdueman - Apr 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Cub fans always have an excuse when poor attendance days like today hit… it’s just … well… so Cubbie!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (4022)