Apr 4, 2011, 1:58 AM EDT
A big part of the Tampa Bay Rays’ strategy to compete with the big-market bullies in the AL East is to sign their young, talented players to long-term deals, giving those players some long-term security while buying out their arbitration-eligible years and ideally a year or two of free agency as well.
It worked with Carl Crawford, it worked with James Shields, and it worked most famously with Evan Longoria. And just the other day, the Rays did it again, signing pitcher Wade Davis to a four-year deal that also has three team options tacked onto the end.
“If it’s realistic, absolutely, that is something I would definitely do,” Price said. “I love it here, absolutely. Everyone here knows that I’m a huge fan of this organization and all the people that are in the clubhouse. I feel like it’s the right place for me.”
The phrase “if it’s realistic” is a rather large qualifier in Price’s statement, and the pitcher didn’t expand on what exactly that meant. Price is set to make $1.25 million this season, and $1.5 million next year, but has the right to void that contract and go to arbitration in 2012, which he almost certainly will do.
The key will be how many years of free agency Price will allow the Rays to purchase in an extension. I would be surprised if he gave the Rays three team option years, as Longoria and Davis did. But Price’s agent is Bo McKinnis (past clients including Mike Mussina, Paul Byrd, Jose Canseco), – not Scott Boras — so you never know.
Longoria, not surprisingly, said he would like to see Price follow his path.
“I’m locked into a contract, which I’m very happy about, and I hope that something like that could happen with David, whether it be a two-, three-, four-year extension or something longer.”
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 64
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)