HBT Weekend Wrapup

Apr 4, 2011, 8:23 AM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

It actually feels like it was a long weekend for me since I took most of Friday to head up to Cleveland and take in the Indians-White Sox on Opening Day at Progressive Field.  It was not the most competitive game in baseball history. Indeed, I’m pretty sure it was 198-0 by the time I settled into my seat (note: the Indians stocked the fridge in the Indians Social Suite on Friday, so my memory of the score may be a bit … skewed).

But bad baseball is still a good thing, so I’d like to thank the Indians for having me up there. And for not revoking my tickets for inviting these guys with me up into the suite for the express purposes of causing trouble in front of team officials and visiting dignitaries. It was awkward for a while — no one likes to be accused of being an honor-free racist — but we all bonded over the fact that this Bob Feller silhouette shirt I met in a bar is pretty fantastic, so it was all good.

Here’s a bit of what else went down this weekend:

I mean, really: this is like O. Henry and Alanis Morrisette had a baby and named it “this exact situation”.

1. yankeesfanlen - Apr 4, 2011 at 8:42 AM

And This Happened: I have NO IDEA what that last reference was about, even with a casual knowledge of O. Henry’s work.

• drunkenhooliganism - Apr 4, 2011 at 9:57 AM

O wrote about Irony. Morisette wrote “Ironic.” I still don’t know what he’s talking about.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Apr 4, 2011 at 8:47 AM

You forgot to mention how old J-Roll looked, how decrepit the phillies starters looked, how anemic their offense looked, how lucky they got on Friday, how they trail the dodgers in people getting killed at the stadium in 2011 1-0, and you didn’t say anything snarky about them whatsoever.

Well, the day is still young.

• Alex K - Apr 4, 2011 at 8:58 AM

You seem to have forgotten that everything isn’t about the Phillies. Just enjoy your very, very good team.

• Chris Fiorentino - Apr 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Only when they lose or get lucky like they did Friday. Then Aaron will have a post about it ASAFP!!!

• kiwicricket - Apr 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Good weekend Chris?

• Chris Fiorentino - Apr 4, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Friday – Win Column
        Saturday – Win Column
        Sunday – Win Column

Looks like the Mutts will have a chance on Wednesday. I just wish Uncle Charlie had the balls to skip Heavy B’s turn and start Doc on regular rest. They could literally have a chance to put the division away before May 1.

3. Panda Claus - Apr 4, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Sorry, I’m still riding my “I can’t believe what I just saw” weekend involving the O’s. Not bragging, just in a state of blissful disbelief. Even an Alredo Simon reference won’t bring me down right now.

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I said it before and got mocked but I still maintain; the Yankees better watch out because the O’s will be all over them this season. The Orioles are WAY better than people realize and, so long as they stay away from beating my Blue Jays, I will be happy for them. And Buck Showalter will be manager of the year. So there!

4. roycethebaseballhack - Apr 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Sunny day pictures from Opening Day, in Arlington. Lots of drunk white guys, and hot chicks (drunk too..).

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug