Apr 4, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
We’re going to have a lot of Small Sample Size Theater this week. Stuff we observe during the season’s infancy that, while unsustainable and probably meaningless in the grand scheme of things, is fun to observe all the same. One of the first things that fit this bill in 2011 is the Royals’ relievers, particularly the rookies down in that pen.
Aaron Crow, Tim Collins and Nate Adcock have combined for eight innings of shutout relief in Kansas City’s first four games. Collins and Crow have struck out 11 guys between them. I got a chance to watch both Crow and Collins pitch over the weekend and I was most impressed with Crow’s fantastic, moving fastball. Collins, who is 5’7″ and that may be stretching it, is really fun too thanks to that delivery of his which kind of makes him look like the love child of Gene Garber and Tim Lincecum. Add in the always-dominant Joakim Soria‘s three scoreless innings thus far and the Royals have themselves a nice pen.
There’s a beauty in watching a team with no immediate expectations. If you don’t get too bogged down on the negatives, you can find yourself pleasantly surprised by parts of it in isolation. Indeed, I’d argue that you can enjoy stuff like nice relief pitching on a less-than-competitive team more than you can on a contender because it’s easier to divorce it from the whole and not worry about the implications of it all so much.
Put differently, the Royals’ bullpen — for now anyway — is art for art’s sake, and that is often the most enjoyable art there can be.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)