Apr 4, 2011, 3:33 PM EST
There’s not a heck of a lot happening this afternoon — that is, unless you (a) have MLB.TV; and (b) are a masochist. If so, you can listen to Chip Caray call the Braves-Brewers game. At least until you realize that you can just switch to the audio feed and listen to Bob Uecker, which is what I just did.
Anywhoo: if you can’t do either of those things you can at least read this article from the Delco Times in which Jeff Edelstein gives the quick and dirty story of how each of the 30 teams got their names. For example, you may be surprised at the complicated and colorful story behind the naming of the Colorado Rockies.
Well, fine. But I found it interesting.
One does get a sense, though, that we’ve lost something in naming conventions over the years. No more “Superbas,” no more “Perfectos.” No more teams named after obscure little gentleman’s clubs in which drinks were taken and tales of the sea were told. Alas.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)