Judge to Roger Clemens: zip it

Apr 4, 2011, 5:40 PM EST

Roger Clemens

Well, I haven’t seen the order from the judge, but I assume that, seeing it was going to Clemens, it had to contain short, easily readable words. “Zip it” seems to fit the bill:

A federal judge is not happy that baseball’s Roger Clemens talked to the media about his upcoming perjury trial.

U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton reminded Clemens on Monday that he does not want the case tried in the media. He ordered all parties in the case to review his order last August prohibiting public comments that could prejudice potential jurors.

Clemens told ESPN Radio last week that he’s eager to defend himself and refuses to hang his head.

Jeez, tough judge. How a nothing little statement like the one Clemens made rises to a level of threatening a gag order is beyond me, but I suppose the judge is just trying to protect Clemens. I mean, if history shows us anything, when he starts talking, the person most likely to be harmed is himself.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 4, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I seen Judges get peeved for less than that in my line of work. Treading lightly is always the safe route, something I’m sure Clemens has no clue how to do.

2. yankeesfanlen - Apr 4, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Everyone to Roger Clemens: “Zip it”.

3. hep3 - Apr 4, 2011 at 6:27 PM

“Zip it” probably covers many types of sins for Mr. Clemens.

4. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 4, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Roger mis-remembered there was a gag order in effect.

Andy Pettite

5. Jeremiah Graves - Apr 4, 2011 at 6:56 PM

…and then Clemens threw a broken gavel at the judge.

You know, to get it out of the way.

6. Old Gator - Apr 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I wouldn’t mind a gag order if I had just swallowed a walnut.

7. dirtyharry1971 - Apr 4, 2011 at 10:41 PM

whats funny about this is it forgets to mention that same judge ordered mcnamee to shut up too cause he was really running his mouth recently. funny how that got missed, LOL

8. iftheshoefits2 - Apr 5, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Roger Clemens for Yanks fans was like a salesman you hired to land a big account. He’s long gone, the client is still there and happy, but you still have that lingering feeling like you need to take a shower when reminded of his tenure.

I don’t know any Yankees fan who ever felt like he was one of ‘our guys’. So sad to see what a fascinating train wreck he’s made of himself. His hubris will be his undoing.

• hep3 - Apr 5, 2011 at 10:31 AM

‘one of OUR guys?’

Puhleeeze.

I thought one of the Yankee broadcasters, I sort of forget which biyatch it was, said Clemens coming back was the greatest moment in Yankee history.

Yankee fans must be so proud.

• bobwsc - Apr 5, 2011 at 12:07 PM

her announcement of Clemens’ return could teach the WWE a thing or two. she may have wet herself in the process.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester