Kyle Kendrick had his World Series ring stolen

Apr 4, 2011, 8:10 PM EDT

Kyle Kendrick throwing AP

According to Jennifer Sullivan of the Seattle Times, burglars broke into Kyle Kendrick‘s home in Washington state late last month and stole several personal items, including his 2008 World Series ring.

Here’s part of the report from the Times:

Detectives believe thieves spent several hours inside the home on Beaver Pond Drive South, because of the sheer volume of items taken. Thieves somehow broke into Kendrick’s safe, where his 2008 championship ring was stored, and took a framed Ken Griffey Jr. jersey off the wall. Thieves also took baseball gloves and bats, items that were keepsakes from different stages in Kendrick’s career, as well as televisions, computers and other high-end electronics, Cammock said.

Major League Baseball reported the ring contained 103 diamonds in a white-gold setting.

Cammock said that he doesn’t know an appraisal price for the ring, but called it “priceless.” He said that Kendrick had the ring insured.

This is just awful. You have to wonder whether Kendrick was targeted, as he was obviously at spring training in Florida at the time of the robbery.

Kendrick didn’t actually pitch for the Phillies during the 2008 postseason, but went 11-9 with a 5.49 ERA over 155 2/3 innings during the regular season.

1. bloodysock - Apr 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM

No word if an AK-47 went missing too.

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2011 at 8:47 PM

When they catch these guys they’ll find JC Romero’s car, the LongGlorioisOnes gun and along with all of Kendrick’s stuff, too I bet. This can’t be random. Someone has cottoned on to the fact that ballplayers have a lot of dough & trinkets, are young and inexperienced with security and are away from home a lot. They are a burglar’s wet dream. We need yankeesfanlen on the case; he’ll get to the bottom of this. Either that or he’ll beat up a lot of random people in an entertaining manner.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Apr 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM

How does he not have that in a safe deposit box at a bank somewhere while he is away for an extended period of time? How about a silent alarm system that calls the police chief at home if someone breaks in? All the millions these guys make and they don’t have any common freaking sense.

• sfbookreviews - Apr 4, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Exactly. With all that swag laying about, how can you not pony up a few bucks a month for an alarm system? They spent HOURS in his house. He would still have lost a few things if they grabbed and ran after the alarm went off, but he’d still have the contents of his safe. If he didn’t have an alarm company on the premises the next day, he’s an imbecile.

• macjacmccoy - Apr 5, 2011 at 3:11 AM

I didnt realize you guys were experts in Kyle Kendrick’s alarm system. How do you know he didnt have one? There are plenty of ways to get around an alarm system and if the thiefs had the nerve to stay in the house for hours and knew how to get into a safe then they probably werent amateurs.

People find ways to break into bank vaults and safety deposit box rooms which are heavily alarmed. So your very naive if you dont think they could find away into a baseball players house alarm system or not. And because of the kind of merchandise inside the house they would have.

Heck a family member could have went to his house and forgot to turn the alarm back on. The point is we dont know and acting like you do and calling someone out for something you believed he did wrong with no proof or justification that that happened makes you look like the ones who are the imbeciles without any common freaking sense.

3. 12strikes - Apr 5, 2011 at 8:05 AM

I feel sorry for him… But…. I have to admit something just does not seem right.
    “Gloves, Bats, Televisions, Computers and other high end electronics” They just don’t’ fit in a sack that you can put over your shoulder, and it would take more then one person to move this stuff. I would think that this would require a good size car if not a truck. Not knowing the lay out of KK residential area I can’t say this for sure BUT….. Shouldn’t a neighbor have notices that something was fishy? A car/truck getting loaded while KK was away? Possibly in the middle of the night? Strangers coming in and out of the house to load the car/truck??
    Hmmmmm….. Ya’know I’m just saying…..

• macjacmccoy - Apr 5, 2011 at 3:15 PM

You ever see those shows “It takes a theif” where former theives show you how to break into a house and how to stop it from happening to you? Well almost every time they break into a house they have some elaborate hoax they use to throw off the neighbors. Like they will come to the house dressed as pool cleaners in a pool cleaners van. They will pull the van to a garage or up a driveway where no one would see them load it. Then they will go out back and break in through a window where no one can see them. The neighbors would think nothing of the cleaners being out back for an hour bc thats how long it takes to do the job. Also they wouldnt load the van the whole time they will put everything at the door or window and load it right when there leaving so in case a neighbor gets suspicous they would already be done finding everything in the house and all the would have to do is load the truck and be gone before the police arrive which they would have plent of time to do Thats just 1 example they show dozens of different ways to fool people into thinking that they are suppose to be there .

Anyway how often during the day when your home do you look outside at your neighbors house? You probably dont at all. I know if someone was inside my neighbors house for an hour or 2 and was robbing them I would have no clue. Im not peaking out the window every hour to make sure they arent getting robbed. Also even if I saw someone over there my first reaction wouldnt be there getting robbed. I would think they have friends over or family and there moving things. Actually I probably wouldnt think about it at all I would pay no attention. Im certainly not going to call the police. I wouldnt want to look like an idiot for calling the cops and saying my neighbors getting rob when its really just there cousin or something picking up a coach. Not getting invovled is the American way. We see stuff all the time that we dont agree with but we do nothing bc its not our business. So unless we know for a fact that the nieghbor is getting robbed the chances are we arent going to do a damn thing.

• 12strikes - Apr 6, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I understand where your comming from, but i don’t totally agree.
        1. I would suspect that the neighbors know that it is Kyle Kendrick living next door, and that he is a Baseball player and that he is currently in FL.
        2. I live in a Cul-de-sac, and my living room window faces the street. Even if I was sitting on the couch or doing house work, and NOT looking out the window I would notice a car/truck/van parked in a neighbors drive way…. more so a famous neighbor that I know is currently in FL for 6 weeks.
        3. Most neighbors look out for each other. If your house was the one being robbed would you like to hear you neighbor tell you “I would have called the cops, but I would rather you get robbed than me look like a fool”.

4. mercyflush - Apr 5, 2011 at 8:36 AM

“Kendrick didn’t actually pitch for the Phillies during the 2008 postseason”

and thus the Phillies won.

5. philly56 - Apr 5, 2011 at 10:13 AM

He contributed about as much to that ring as I did so who cares – hopefully he doesn’t hurt the Phils chances at another ring this year. Should be harder for him to do that from the bullpen, at least.

6. mashoaf - Apr 5, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Amazing. Mt. Vernon is one of the safest cities. Sucks that people knew he was gone, get an alarm system bud.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2893)