Once again, Boston and New York have the highest priced beer in baseball

Apr 4, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT

generic beer

Each year the company Team Marketing Report puts out a list of who has the highest ticket prices, lowest ticket prices, hot dogs, parking, beers, etc.  It’s pretty much what you’d expect: stuff in big cities with big crowds is higher than it is here in the hinterlands.  You can check it all out here.

I, of course, gravitate to the beer where, once again, the Red Sox have the highest price stuff in the game at 60 cents an ounce. Which is all but begging people to bring in flasks.  Things are much more reasonable in Arizona, Pittsburgh and Texas, where beer is way down in the 28-31 cents an ounce range. I was surprised to see the that Philly is fourth cheapest given the capacity crowds and presumed demand, but I assume they’re counting on volume sales in Citizens Bank Park.

Always a fun list. Click through to see how badly you’re being gouged.

1. yankeesfanlen - Apr 4, 2011 at 5:20 PM

OMG! I know you just picked the picture up at random from Getty Images or the Blue Network file, but what do you have here? Generic beer! Actually sold in a non-developing country during the Jimmy Carter years of malaise (“Don’t worry-things may actually get worse”).

2. BC - Apr 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Well, if you’re taking a family to a game, having a beer be $14 might not be a bad idea, though most folks who want to drink show up tanked for opening pitch anyway.
    Always thought the cheapest food and beer was Milwaukee, no?

3. chadjones27 - Apr 4, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Can someone tell me where at Citizens Bank Park one can get a beer for 32.1 cents/ounce? For those keeping score, that’s $5.14/ pint.

4. drunkenhooliganism - Apr 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Philly sells those aluminum cans of awful (bud light) and plastic bottle of awful (coors light and miller lite) for $7.50. I think they’re 16 ounces. But surprisingly they sell pints of microbrews for $7.25 for a pint (I think it’s a pint- I mean it easily fit the 12 oz can of dale’s I brought in). That comes out to between 45 and 47 cents an ounce.

I hate to think that CNBC is bad at math or does sloppy research.

• chadjones27 - Apr 4, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I just realized CNBC probably got into McFadden’s during some beer special

• drunkenhooliganism - Apr 5, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Maybe they went with my math, buy two pints at the stadium for $7.25 and smuggle in two 12 oz cans. That would come out to about 30 cents an ounce.

I want to be a beer research team.

5. Charles Gates - Apr 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Good, because (generally speaking) the Bosox and the Yankees have pretty obnoxious fans before alcohol is added.

• Old Gator - Apr 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM

They’re not “obnoxious.” The medical conditions from which they suffer have not been named yet, but when they are, you won’t be allowed to make fun of them anymore. So, I guess what I’m saying is, have your fun now, before you become politically incorrect.

6. Old Gator - Apr 4, 2011 at 7:48 PM

By the way, because I suffer from ICPS (Incidental compulsive parasitic syndrome), I don’t drink beer unless somebody else is buying and I don’t eat horrible horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches under any circumstances, so none of this makes any difference to me anyhow.

On the brighter side, I’m allergic to lycopene, so I’m pretty safe to hang around with when there’s a full moon.

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM

ICPS, eh? I think I got a brother with that condition. He would also love HM&VS; I saw him eat a pickled duck egg once from a bottle that I had as a decoration on my mantle piece. As to lycopene, like a lot of allergies one can grow out or into them as one ages so don’t count your hairy palms just yet. Warren Zevon’s cautionary tale foretells of this.

• Old Gator - Apr 4, 2011 at 11:44 PM

My hair is perfect, too. What little of it remains, I mean.

7. bigharold - Apr 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Forget beer, .. at $35 bucks to park at the Stadium I won’t have much money for beer.

8. The Wookie - Apr 4, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Reasonably priced brew (for a ballpark) in Philly. Yet one more reason why Philly is the greatest sports and beer city in America (if not the world).

• bobwsc - Apr 5, 2011 at 12:25 PM

best beer anywhere (yuengling) and the stadium beats out camden yards as one of the best given the open platform set-up. I’d light the TNT to take down Fenway if it brought in a stadium like that.

9. bobwsc - Apr 5, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Larry Lucchino is the root of it all. for all the good this ownership group has done, they bring gouging to another level. we understand that they have bills to pay and buying beer / food / trinkets is optional, but they’re like a bad political regime: spend spend spend, tax tax tax.

• irishjackmp - Apr 5, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Lucchino does what everone else in the private sector does… he charges as much as the marketplace is willing to bear. Considering people keep buying beer @ Fenway in large numbers, the fans must think it’s worth it.

If you think it’s too expensive, don’t buy it. There is something seriously wrong if a fan can’t go 3 hours without a beer.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet