Pedro Feliciano vows revenge against Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen

Apr 4, 2011, 7:19 PM EST

feliciano throws AP

Remember Brian Cashman’s silly comments on Saturday about Pedro Feliciano being “abused” during his time with the Mets? They were quickly answered by Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen, who said something to the effect of, “duh, obviously.”

Well, Feliciano spoke with Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York earlier today and told him that he didn’t appreciate Warthen’s comments.

“They said they didn’t sign me because [they knew] I’m going to blow up this year,” Feliciano said. “That hurts because I like Dan. But I will come out from this injury and I will be telling him there is still a lot of Feliciano to go.”

“Asked if he had called his former pitching coach to discuss his statements, Feliciano said, “No, no, no. No, no, no. I don’t got his number or nothing. I will show him in the Subway Series when I strike out Ike Davis, and when I jump up and down on the mound I’ll be like, ‘That’s for you.'”

The first “Subway Series” interleague matchup between the Mets and Yankees is on May 20. Hopefully Feliciano is back from the disabled list by then.

1. Brian Murphy - Apr 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Cue Ike Davis saying, “Hey, what did I do to get dragged into this??”

• D.J. Short - Apr 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Oh yes. Like it or not, this story has plenty of life left.

• Old Gator - Apr 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Yeah, in sports a story fears nothing so much as being prematurely interred.

But then, I’ve never seen that happen anyway.

• Glenn - Apr 4, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Unlike Feliciano’s arm.

2. aronmantoo - Apr 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Subway series? He must be talking about regular season because neither team will be in the World Series

3. rmalmstrom - Apr 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM

“I will be telling him there is still a lot of Feliciano to go.”

Huh-huh. He said Feliciano.

4. chrisny3 - Apr 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Both Cashman and Warthen disrespected Pedro. Cashman by essentially saying “We knew he was risky but I couldn’t find a better lefthander” and Warthen by saying in essence that the Mets cared so little about him that they risked ruining his career by overusing him.

However the last laugh is on Cashman for ponying up $8 million for someone who may end up needing arm surgery soon. Pedro’s wife thanks him for his generous contribution to the Feliciano retirement fund.

• spudchukar - Apr 4, 2011 at 8:07 PM

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

5. phukyouk - Apr 4, 2011 at 9:05 PM

VENDETTA! VENDETTA!

6. raffy7 - Apr 4, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I’m a huge yankee fan, and I like Cashman and Feliciano. But I don’t really get Cashman’s comments in this situation. He signed Feliciano – obviously he noticed that he pitched all of these games the past few years. This is not new information. Its one thing if the Mets or Feliciano hide an injury and the Yanks get duped. But thats not the case. When a guy pitches almost every day for a few years in a row, you know that he has some miles on his arm. Cashman didn’t complain about how many games Feliciano pitched when he was signing him. At that time, it was seen as a positive that he was a “workhorse,” who could go out there every day. Now, the buyers remorse and finger pointing at the Mets just seems a little bit out of character for Cashman. Plus, after Paul Quantrill and Damaso Marte, you figure Cashman would learn that pitching 70-80 games a year is gonna catch up to a reliever. I hope Feliciano gets back on the field, and I think he will, but Cashman brought all this on himself.
    All that being said, I think the Mets have to be frustrated with Warthen’s response which seemed very unprofessional and careless. If he wants his current pitchers to trust him, this didn’t help at all. Pitchers always ask for the ball because they are trained to be tough; they always say they can get the next guy out. If Feliciano was making these pitching decisions, what do the Mets need Warthen for?

7. drunkenhooliganism - Apr 5, 2011 at 12:27 AM

I really hope that feliciano will be healthy for that series. I just want to see that matchup. I’m friggin psyched for it. I wanna see him face off against Ike whateverthefhisnameis in the seventh inning of a six run game. I’m serious. I’m gonna tivo that whole series. I still haven’t decided if I want him to do his dance or if I want Ike to hit a 500 footer off him, but I want it now

8. purnellmeagrejr - Apr 5, 2011 at 9:32 AM

What does Scott Proctor think about all this?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester