Apr 5, 2011, 6:45 PM EDT
The Nationals entered spring training with Nyjer Morgan and Ian Desmond at the top of their order, but less than a week into the season, Morgan is long gone and Desmond has been dropped to seventh following an 0-for-13 start.
Desmond, who moved up to the leadoff spot when Morgan was traded to Milwaukee last month, failed to reach base safely during the season opening three-game series against the Braves. He also fanned three times as the Nationals dropped two of three games.
Switching spots with Desmond will be usual No. 7 hitter Danny Espinosa, who has opened the season 4-for-9 with a pair of doubles.
As close as the two are as hitters, it does make sense for Jim Riggleman to go with the hot hand here. My Rotoworld projections called for Espinosa to hit .242/.321/.407 this season, with Desmond at .267/.331/.404. The two were also remarkably similar this spring: both hit .290 and slugged .435. Desmond had the slightly better OBP (.364 to .353), but Espinosa more than made up for that by going 4-for-4 as a basestealer, while Desmond was 2-for-5.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner