Apr 5, 2011, 6:45 PM EDT
The Nationals entered spring training with Nyjer Morgan and Ian Desmond at the top of their order, but less than a week into the season, Morgan is long gone and Desmond has been dropped to seventh following an 0-for-13 start.
Desmond, who moved up to the leadoff spot when Morgan was traded to Milwaukee last month, failed to reach base safely during the season opening three-game series against the Braves. He also fanned three times as the Nationals dropped two of three games.
Switching spots with Desmond will be usual No. 7 hitter Danny Espinosa, who has opened the season 4-for-9 with a pair of doubles.
As close as the two are as hitters, it does make sense for Jim Riggleman to go with the hot hand here. My Rotoworld projections called for Espinosa to hit .242/.321/.407 this season, with Desmond at .267/.331/.404. The two were also remarkably similar this spring: both hit .290 and slugged .435. Desmond had the slightly better OBP (.364 to .353), but Espinosa more than made up for that by going 4-for-4 as a basestealer, while Desmond was 2-for-5.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 11
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 204
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (206)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)