Apr 5, 2011, 6:45 PM EST
The Nationals entered spring training with Nyjer Morgan and Ian Desmond at the top of their order, but less than a week into the season, Morgan is long gone and Desmond has been dropped to seventh following an 0-for-13 start.
Desmond, who moved up to the leadoff spot when Morgan was traded to Milwaukee last month, failed to reach base safely during the season opening three-game series against the Braves. He also fanned three times as the Nationals dropped two of three games.
Switching spots with Desmond will be usual No. 7 hitter Danny Espinosa, who has opened the season 4-for-9 with a pair of doubles.
As close as the two are as hitters, it does make sense for Jim Riggleman to go with the hot hand here. My Rotoworld projections called for Espinosa to hit .242/.321/.407 this season, with Desmond at .267/.331/.404. The two were also remarkably similar this spring: both hit .290 and slugged .435. Desmond had the slightly better OBP (.364 to .353), but Espinosa more than made up for that by going 4-for-4 as a basestealer, while Desmond was 2-for-5.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)