Apr 5, 2011, 4:23 PM EDT
Potentially bad news from Wrigley Field: Cubs’ starter Andrew Cashner was pulled from today’s game against the Diamondbacks due to tightness in his right shoulder. He had thrown 72 pitches in five and a third innings at the time, and had allowed two hits, one of which was a homer. The game is still going on — the Cubs led the Dbacks 4-1 when Cashner was yanked — so we don’t have any additional details yet. Updates as we get ‘em.
This was Cashner’s first major league start. The former first round pick had 53 relief appearances as a rookie last year, but had spent three years in the minors primarily as a starter.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 2
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 44
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)