Derek Jeter needs his beauty rest, has lots of money

Apr 5, 2011, 1:24 PM EDT

derek jeter yankees yawning

As only they can, “Page Six” in the New York Post reports that Derek Jeter has rented a $15,000-per-month apartment in the same Trump World Tower where he already owns a $20 million apartment because “a neighbor’s noisy construction was hampering the star shortstop’s crucial rest.”

Rich people buying really expensive luxury items is hardly a new or shocking concept, but this really hammers it home for me.

I occasionally try to take a late-afternoon nap after a hard day of blogging about Pulitzer Prize-winning topics like Derek Jeter’s beauty sleep and my neighbor cranking up the radio while working in the garage sometimes keeps me from getting to sleep, at which point I stick a pair of 50-cent foam earplugs in and snooze away.

When faced with essentially the same problem, Derek Jeter shells out $15,000 per month for a second apartment, although admittedly you can’t invite Minka Kelly over to hang out in an earplug.

1. cur68 - Apr 5, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Hooooo-kay…a gang of burglars are lining up right now to rip off Jeets. They know all they need to know to have hours in that apartment; he’ll be gone for days, construction noise will cover their noise, and the alarm can be safely set off because construction racket setting it off will see to it the company he’s hired ignores it. The crims also know he’s got tons of superfluous dough, Minka might have left ‘personal items’ around and they may be able to acquire more collectable guns; this is New York after all. Even grandmothers have guns.

• paperlions - Apr 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Yeah, you’d think by now that rich people would have come up with concepts like the “doorman” or “security personnel” or something else to keep the commoners out of their luxurious places….but no, anyone can just waltz right in.

• tigertigerwoodsyall - Apr 5, 2011 at 2:50 PM

One of the most ignorant posts I’ve seen in quite a while. That building is probably more locked down than most banks in our country.

• cur68 - Apr 5, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Hmmm, I think I need a ‘meant with humorous intent’ smily face on that there post of mine. I will try to do better. Here goes; I’m sure Trump’s Dump is more secure than a bank tigerwoods :)
        My comment was with this story in mind;

I contend, in the comments, that ballplayers make ideal theft victims (once again, a smily face would have helped for those lacking in the element ‘humoronium’ in their genetic makeup). Next time, before you label something as ignorant, read up on it a bit. :)

• tigertigerwoodsyall - Apr 6, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Ok, ok….point taken. I did read that other article a week or so ago. Just simply misread your post. No worries. But please, call me tigertigerwoodsyall.

• thefalcon123 - Apr 5, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Have you ever been guy Trump World Tower? I get nervous walking by there in fear that one of the many well dressed, secret service looking security cards will beat me down for just looking suspicious.

• cur68 - Apr 5, 2011 at 3:59 PM

dee above reply to tigerwoods :)

• thefalcon123 - Apr 5, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Have you ever been buy Trump World Tower? I get nervous walking by there in fear that one of the many well dressed, secret service looking security cards will beat me down for just looking suspicious.

• cur68 - Apr 5, 2011 at 3:59 PM

see above reply to tigerwoods :)

• Tim's Neighbor - Apr 5, 2011 at 4:05 PM

This post is stupid. Just like sarcasm.

• cur68 - Apr 5, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Yeah, I’m sure it’s worth insulting someone over too. Thanks Tim’s Neighb…of course everything you ever wrote for sh!ts & giggles met some sort of stringent criteria for stupid & sarcasm. Ooops…there I go again! More sarcasm. I’m just not gonna learn…

• Tim's Neighbor - Apr 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Ahhhh, you missed the sarcasm in my post. I’m on your side, big guy/gal.

2. larryhockett - Apr 5, 2011 at 1:47 PM

This goes in the “It’s good to be Derek Jeter” file, although that file is getting a little old now and doesn’t cover as much as it used to.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM

The money and beauty sleep don’t seem to be paying off with respect to his production at the plate so far.

4. The Dangerous Mabry - Apr 5, 2011 at 2:13 PM

By the way, really nice job finding the Jeter yawning pic for the article. It’s the little things.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM

He wasn’t yawning, he was yelling something heroic, something intangible, some sort of True Yankee-ism!

• Utley's Hair - Apr 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM

He saw Hank angling toward Minka.

5. marinersnate - Apr 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Leave Derek Jeter alone!

6. Panda Claus - Apr 5, 2011 at 4:33 PM

So we’ve learned two things here. One, when the construction is finished and he returns to his regular condo, a nice affordable $15K per month unit will be opening up for anyone of us to jump on.

Next, Derek respects his sleeping habits so much that he’d rather drop enough cash to buy a car over spending $150 on some nice noise reduction headphones. Consider the volume of noise he regularly hears at Yankee Stadium and that construction must be really loud.

7. sumerduckman - Apr 5, 2011 at 5:22 PM

If you are right next door, foam earplugs will not block the noise from power saws, routers, nail guns, compressors, impact drills etc. The plugs will protect your hearing, but you won’t get much sleep.

8. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 5, 2011 at 7:49 PM

He should have beat the neighbor up, who would blame him. I would just walk up to the neighbor
    and smack him around.

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. V. Martinez (2428)