Apr 5, 2011, 3:36 PM EDT
SportsBusiness Daily reports that multiple teams have seen increased ratings in the early going, as have the national networks who broadcast games:
The Orioles’ four-game average in Baltimore has pulled in a 7.8 rating and 79,000 HHs. The team last season averaged a 3.4 rating in Baltimore … Meanwhile, WPHL-MYT’s broadcast of Friday’s Astros-Phillies game “set an opening-day rating record” for the net, while Sunday’s game between the two teams “broke the record for a regular-season telecast.”
Same goes for the Rangers and the Blue Jays, who each saw big opening series numbers, as did FOX and ESPN over the weekend.
Cold weather over much of the country had to have helped, but so too, I think, do the facts that (a) the season starting on a Thursday/Friday for most teams was a good move, as people are way more likely to slough off work or to stay up late later in the week than for a Monday start; and (b) there are a lot more teams with legitimate shots at contention this year than we’re used to seeing. There’s some definite excitement in the fan base.
Both just my gut feelings, of course. But the beginning of the year certainly feels different this season than in previous ones.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 0
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 167
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (171)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)