Apr 5, 2011, 3:36 PM EDT
SportsBusiness Daily reports that multiple teams have seen increased ratings in the early going, as have the national networks who broadcast games:
The Orioles’ four-game average in Baltimore has pulled in a 7.8 rating and 79,000 HHs. The team last season averaged a 3.4 rating in Baltimore … Meanwhile, WPHL-MYT’s broadcast of Friday’s Astros-Phillies game “set an opening-day rating record” for the net, while Sunday’s game between the two teams “broke the record for a regular-season telecast.”
Same goes for the Rangers and the Blue Jays, who each saw big opening series numbers, as did FOX and ESPN over the weekend.
Cold weather over much of the country had to have helped, but so too, I think, do the facts that (a) the season starting on a Thursday/Friday for most teams was a good move, as people are way more likely to slough off work or to stay up late later in the week than for a Monday start; and (b) there are a lot more teams with legitimate shots at contention this year than we’re used to seeing. There’s some definite excitement in the fan base.
Both just my gut feelings, of course. But the beginning of the year certainly feels different this season than in previous ones.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)